How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nicotine level manipulation
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:53 pm 

Hi guys i am curious to know what techniques there are to increase nicotine production in either nicotiana rustica and tobaccum is there a certain nutrient or trace element is it ph related etc so far the only info i found about this reffers to when the flowers are topped and removing suckers enhances nicotine content so anyhow i want to try get thr most bang for my buck from my plants as i am a heavy smoker and i smome very strong dark style tobaccos i am hopiing to not smoke as much so hence why i want to learn how to get my plants to produce more nicotine i have several strins ie easter island nicotiana rustica and i have virginia gold tn90 and a havana strain cant think of the havana number off the top of my head thanks in advance for any advice cheers

Post subject: Re: Nicotine level manipulation
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:27 pm 

I believe you'd have to genetically manipulate the alkaloids to get a very high nicotine strain. 22nd Century Group possess the technology to create high/low nicotine strains but I don't think they're willing to spill their secrets or open their patent portfolio. 8)

Link, just in case it's helpful:

http://www.xxiicentury.com/technology/

Post subject: Re: Nicotine level manipulation
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:28 am 

I dunno about soil ingredients and stuff, but one trick is to cause minor damages throughout the growing period to simulate someone munching on them, or actually having insects munch on them. In turn, they'll release more nicotine to defend themselves. I reckon over some time, you can likely push a strain's level of nicotine that way :P

Also, I guess playing around with curing techniques can perhaps yield a better level of nicotine, or rather less being used up.