How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flavour and Fertiliser
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:33 am 

Hey there,

first of all, Happy New Year to everyone! :P

I've got a question for my growing season this year, namely how do fertilisers and flavour correlate? So far, all and any tobacco I've planted, from Virginia to Burley to Oriental and cigar tobaccos have all had a rather bland taste; the little that did get through was fantastic, but not very intense.

I know I've made a couple of mistakes growing them, such as planting them too close to each other and possibly picking the leaves a little too early at times (plus losing a major part of the harvest due to mould, but that's another story), yet I should think that this, while affecting flavour, would still allow for a decent smoke and not hot air, especially since plants didn't show any signs of deficiency.

After last year, the soil should be depleted anyway, so I was wondering what fertiliser is best used to fill up what the plants have used, and was wondering if there is any way to improve the flavour that way as well. Also, I'd like to avoid commercial fertilisers; I've got easy access to horse manure, as well as hoof flakes which I've heard people often used as great fertiliser - does that do the trick for tobacco as well? I've read that cow dung is great, but that's nigh on impossible to procure around here. My soil is sandy with some loam; tobacco has been grown in the area (southern Germany) for centuries; I intend on growing cigar and rustica strains this year.

Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks a lot in advance :-)

Post subject: Re: Flavour and Fertiliser
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:08 pm 

Just received some input from someone working in the tobacco industry who's had a similar problem when he tried growing for the first time in England:

1. Cut off the plant's top after 18-20 leaves and use no or little water; this stresses the plant, makes it concentrate more on these 18-20 leaves and promotes a better flavour.

2. Grow beans to get nitrate levels back to normal again, afterwards, plough them in, this serving as fertilser.

3. Better determine when to harvest

Anyone got any ideas/experience with this, especially the bean fertiliser and the stressing through water deprivation?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:10 am 

hello mr1992, I agree on all 3 points, maybe I would dose the water right ... in my little experience I noticed that little water burns badly, with a lot of water the tobacco burns quickly too!

I have a wooden box in the garden where I throw in the remains of the kitchen, a compost comes out that I put in my holes for the plants, it should "regenerate" the soil, I think (lol)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:55 am 

Received even more advise on the matter on another forum (felt stupid after reading it for not having come up with it myself):

4. Spread horse manure on your field, let it dry onto the soil, then proceed and dig over the area (prevents burning the plants). Additionally, add hoof trimmings to the soil, which add lot of nutrients.

5. Ensure the soil is ventilated and that you hoe it regularly, thereby damaging the roots and promoting the release of more nicotine and flavour..