How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Plants dying from heat ?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:06 am 

This is my first year growing , I planted starts just after the first week of June ,
after they got established they grew very fast and healthy , then about 2 weeks
ago they slowed to a crawl , 2 out of 3 Virginia gold plants started to flower
the others started to look poorly and turn yellow , some kind of bugs are
eating them , and some started to lean then are trying to grow straight again ,
its been in the mid 90s lately and mid 40s to 50s at night , I water them
heavy once a day , what am I doing wrong ? , Attached some pictures below .

Post subject: Re: Plants dying from heat ?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:17 pm 

They shouldn't be yellow at that stage. Could it be too much water ? Tobacco plants like to have their feet well dried before next watering. I water the plants after putting them in the ground, just to help them start and then I stop watering . We had 2 heat waves here in France and since end of june I have watered only twice ( I planted them end of May). And also just like tomato plants, it's better trying to avoid the leaves when you water. I also have a problem with stupid bugs that gnaws at my leaves and I know what it is ...grasshoppers !

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:09 pm 

Thanks Marie , maybe I won't water them for a day and see how they look
after that , we have a hot wind / breeze almost every day as well .

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:46 pm 

Tobacco definitely doesn't like being over watered. But it needs to be so wet the ground is soggy and drowning the roots. Ironically, over watering and drowning the roots makes the plant wilt and look as though it needs water. But I don't think that is your problem. Some of the plants look very under nourished to me. I see some with good color and size that look pretty good, with others only a few feet away that don't look so good. They should be much bigger by now and nothing should be yellowing yet except maybe some of the very bottom leaves. It looks to me that you needed more nutrients and more even distribution. If they are starting to bloom, it's really to late to add fertilizer now. And for some reason, my Virginia Golds starting blooming way early too. No idea why. Same plants you have and they were started along with all my others. ?? Everything else has just begun budding out right on schedule. I also see a few leaves that look like they have a little sun scald. Not uncommon to see in the weather we are having. And not much you can do about it.

As for insects, the only thing we have around here that I have ever seen touch a tobacco leaf is grasshoppers. I get a couple chewed leaves every year, but for me the damage from grasshoppers is always very minimal. Aphids can be a problem in the greenhouse, and were for me this year, but once the plants go out into our summer sunshine and heat, the aphids off die in no time.

Leaning plants can be tipped back up straight and bermed with dirt to keep them there, or just stomped in to straighten them. Usually works well enough. But sometimes you may need to stake them. If a plant does get tipped, it will twist the stalk and start to head back upwards in just a couple hours. If you don't get them straightened out in the first day or two, the bend in the stalk is there for the season. You get a crooked plant, but it still grows good.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:43 am 

Thanks Sky , So I guess it is a lack of enough nutrients in the soil , before
I planted the starts I only rotavated the soil about 10 inches deep ( I didn't
have a rototiller at the time , only a little electric cultivator ) where each start
was to be planted , after tilling each plot I took out the loose dirt and replaced
it with a 50 /50 mix of compost / topsoil planted the start and covered the
top with the loose tilled soil , did all 18 starts the same way , so I assume
when they stopped growing fast and healthy they ran out of proper nutrition
and the roots hit hard ground , only 2 Virginia gold ( have 3 ) started to bloom
all other plants have not , it's too late to fertilize ? just water and harvest when
ready ? When is normal harvest for this area ? Next year I'm going to rototill
as deep as possible and also till in at least 2 pickup loads of compost or
50/50 compost top soil .