How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: When do i thin?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:14 am 

these have been in the soil about 2 weeks ....I cant remember when i need to transplant them they have 2 VERY small leaves on them now....I think they are too young to move now...the roots so dang small i am afraid i wont be able to bury them when i move them......what are your thoughts?

Post subject: Re: When do i thin?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:05 am 

JMG1041 wrote:
these have been in the soil about 2 weeks ....I cant remember when i need to transplant them they have 2 VERY small leaves on them now....I think they are too young to move now...the roots so dang small i am afraid i wont be able to bury them when i move them......what are your thoughts?

If they are crowding each other... What works best for me is taking a pair of tweezers and simply thinning out the herd. I have had some small success at transplanting when they are in the stage yours are in but it seems to stunt them and growth is slow. You probably are of the same mindset that I am and hate to kill a newly germinated start. For me it was a lot of extra work and I don't intend on doing it again. I thin as needed and sow sparingly from the start.

Post subject: Re: When do i thin?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:44 pm 

You can thin now before the roots get too entangled. You can transplant the ones you remove or toss them depending on the room you have to grow. When you transplant cover the roots and go up the stem about halfway (if plants are an inch to one and a quarter inches tall) the soil can be wet for transplanting but remember that you are misting about one time per day for a few days as long as the soil is not saturated. If you do this more than one time a day the seedlings will develop mold and it is hard to come back from that. The soil can be damp from that point on but not more than that.