How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Germination
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:45 am 

I had great success in the past germinating seeds.
however I have had seeds in my kitchen cabinet in a brown envelop for about 3 years...

I cant get them to dang germinate.
I have them in the house which is at 70F.
I have them in the small tray packs and the are standing in 1inch of water...to wick up to the seeds...

I have tried 100% peat
I have tried miracle grow potting mix

I don't know if the 2 soil types are too wet? or are my seeds just dead....

I reordered some seeds to try a new supplier....

any ideas?
I need to get em started asap for here in GA.

Post subject: Re: Germination
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:25 am 

If tobacco seeds are stored in a dry and dark place, and have not been exposed to excessive heat, they should be good for up to 10 years.

Your temps seem good. But you should never let the seed trays sit in standing water while they are sprouting or growing.

Tobacco seeds should sprinkled on top of the growing medium and never covered. People have gotten good results using a variety of different starting mediums. It isn't so much a matter of what it consists of, as it is the texture. A course grained or chunky starting mix will let the tiny seeds fall down the cracks and end up being too deep to sprout properly. The seeds need to stay on top, so a fine grained mix is best. I use BX Pro Mix for starting all my plants. For tobaccos I screen it through a 1/4 inch hardware cloth to remove any large chunks. I have used Miracle grow mix in the past and gotten very good results after screening it. But is is often to course and chunky right out of the bag to be a good starting mix for tobacco.

This is how I start tobaccos. You might find it helpful. http://www.northwoodseeds.com/tips.htm

Cheers,
Sky