How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Caution! Low germination rates... www.sustainableseedco.com
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:23 pm 

I generally don't have issues germinating seed. Lately Ive germinated a few different varieties. Its been a hit or miss thing lately. Ive got all of my seed from sustainableseed. Id steer clear of the website and start buying them from amazon if had to do it again. That way you could rate the varieties and potentially warn others not to buy due to low germination rates.
Out of 4 varieties germinated (100 seeds), african red- 7 seedlings, burley 21- 10 seedlings, kentucky 17- 0 seedlings! havana 608- 12 seedlings.
Long story short. Sales are just that! They're on sale or discount for a reason! Use caution. Dont expect any results and hope for the best.

Post subject: Re: Caution! Low germination rates... www.sustainableseedco.com
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:13 pm 

Hmmm...interesting. Would you mind giving a few details on your sprouting or planting methods?

I have dealt with Sustainable Seed both as a customer, and in recent years as one of their seed suppliers. We have grown several varieties of vegetable and flower seeds for them, and also more than half the tobacco seed they have in stock. They are a great company to work with and have always been extremely picky about what they buy and who they will buy from. They require all the seed produced by their contract growers be germination tested by certified labs. They require the seed they purchase to test at 10% higher than federal minimum standards. They have several other standards we must also meet, such as cleanliness, isolation distances, weed control methods, not using chemicals of any kind, etc. Those details are irrelevant here, but I can honestly say they are our most difficult buyer to please.

All four of the strains you have mentioned were grown by us. The oldest of these seeds are still well under half of the minimum expected shelf life and less than half the age at which the USDA replaces their seed bank stock. All our seed is tested by the WSDA testing facility in Yakima Wa. before being shipped. Here are the results of the tests for those 4 strains:

Burley 21 90%
KY 17 84%
Havana 608 83%
African Red 93%

The Feds have a very long list that specifies minimum seed germination rates that all seed sold commercially must meet. So does the state of California where SSC is located. Ironically, of the hundreds of seed they regulate, tobacco is not one of them. There is no federal standard for tobacco seed. So we set our own at 80%. On a few rare occasions, we have shipped seed that tested at 70%+ but these have been for rare strains which we have little seed, and we will only ship it if they buyer fully understands what they are getting. Everything under 70% goes in the bird feeder.

I know SSC has refrigerated seeds storage facilities that are dry and dark. They know how to handle and store seed. And I know the seed they received from me was good. But I also see that sticks has been a member here even longer than I have, so I assume this ain't his first rodeo and he has a good idea what he is doing. Which leaves me a a bit of a loss as to what to think? All I know for sure is that I HATE hearing about anyone getting bad results from our seed!

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:38 pm 

Did you contact that seed company and advise them of the problems?
Anything I've lost has usually been my fault, and obvious, at that !
Too much water, then direct sun... a killer combo.

AFAIK, amazon is a platform for vendors to offer their goods.
I'd buy a few packets of those Amazon branded baccy seed packets, with Jeff Bezos in a straw hat on the front ~
They'll be very collectible, someday ! :-)
rc

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:47 am 

No worries !
All is safe.
...for a while ?

Warm WX has allowed some ice to melt, and it got inside.
Here's the story.

goo.gl/Va0bZy

It would seem the Norwegians take this pretty seriously, and even they have issues ?
rc