How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A method to separate your tobacco seeds from chaff
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:44 pm 

If you do not have a seive to filter out your small seeds (I do this with tobacco and petunia seeds), this method may be used. First make a tray out of regular paper by folding up the corners and taping them so that the seeds can't roll out. The take another sheet of 8"x11" or 11"x14" paper or longer and make a half cylinder lengthwise and tape it to keep it that way. Do not crease the paper, keep it curved. Then position one end of the half cylinder in the paper tray at a low angle (to steep and debris will also slide down into the tray with the seeds), but steep enough for seeds to roll down. Next, gently pour a small portion the unfiltered seed mixture at the top end of the tube and rock the cylinder from side to side. The little seeds will roll on down into the tray and the flat debris will remain at the top or slightly down from the top. Before you pour the next batch of seeds, remove the cylinder and blow away what debris was left to start clean again. It's slow, but if you do not have anything else, it's simple and cheap. I don't think this would work with small seeds that don't roll so well.

Post subject: Re: A method to separate your tobacco seeds from chaff
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:51 pm 

That sure sounds like fun, GW !
Kinda like I do it with newspaper...
rc

Post subject: Re: A method to separate your tobacco seeds from chaff
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:30 pm 

Gwozdz,
Your method sounds very handy. I've tried all sorts of tricks to winnow "light" seeds from their associated husk and debris. Dill has always been a problem, with its firmly attached tiny stem, and a seed that easily blows away. For tobacco, though, I worry more about the fine dust and dried pollen that stays with the seed. Unfortunately, steel lab sieves are too pricey for me.

Inexpensive strainers of the required size can be purchased singly from US Plastics. Any coarse kitchen strainer will allow you to remove the big chunks of debris. Since tobacco seeds are about 500 microns in size, you can get seed-bank quality cleaning by keeping only what falls through a 600 micron seive, but remains in a 400 micron seive.

These plastic strainers (high-density polyethylene) are designed to fit over a 5 gallon bucket, and cost less than $5 each. US Plastics sells these items in quantity 1. They will also happily mail their thick catalog to individual consumers.

600 micron: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=37442
400 micron: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=37445

Bob