How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Grow Journal
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:15 am 

A forum in which people can keep a journal of their grow periodically posting pictures, watering timetables, pH, feeding, plant or pest problems encountered. It would provide a source of information in cases of diagnosis and keep all postings relating to one crop under one thread cutting down on clutter in the forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:22 am 

Maybe. I never had much favor for the picture gallery. Coffinails has a forum specifically made to post pictures and talk about one's plants and their journey. I enjoyed it very much. Of course I don't know if Caliginous and Roy would like to move all those pictures to the new forum.

Post subject: Grow Journal / Knowledgebase
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:01 am 

From my (much lengthier) reply to How to Grow/ Overview / Montana Growing:

"Since it seems that we're mostly newbie growers, and since soil and climate vary so much, it seems to me we could create a "knowledgebase" by sharing what varieties we're growing under what conditions and what our results turn out to be."

Cornell has a 'citizen science' website called "VeggieBase" - why not try something simpler with the section that Wolfbrother suggested. Perhaps broken into growing areas, i.e.: Northeast, Southwest, Australia . . . etc.

With a dial-up connection, I generally avoid picture intensive pages, though turning images off helps. Most folks don't seem to understand that 1+mb pictures aren't necessary for good viewing on webpages.

~ Corvia
(Crowsister 8^)

Post subject: How about a wiki instead?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:31 am 

While I've enjoyed the pictures and the journals on coffinails, all to often you just get a small glimpse - either people start and then lose interest, or they post 20 pictures that are all pretty similar, etc.

I think a WIKI might be much more useful. A single document (perhaps with "chapters" organized like the topics here) that could be added to by everyone.

To be honest, obsessive-compulsive as I am, I've read a TON of the threads here. There's an incredible amount of information, but the way it's organized, you have to sift through a lot of stuff to get the info, and many times the same questions get asked (and answered) over and over again.

So, how about a WIKI? A single document that covers all the topics in an orderly fashion, that anyone can contribute to?

I'm not sure exactly how WIKI's work, you don't want too much junk in there, but you don't want someone who disagrees to wipe out info that everyone else agrees with.

What do you think?

Post subject: Re: How about a wiki instead?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:50 pm 

I rather like the idea of a wiki. Possibly an FAQ. The only problem I can see arising here is that many growers are stuck in their ways and will disagree as to the best course. This problem is confounded by the fact that a variety of methods work, tobacco being rather forgiving once out of the seedling stage.

Perhaps a better way of going about this would be to have certain threads rated and those that stand out as being comprehensive to commonly asked questions; all put in the same place.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:57 pm 

Wolfbrother wrote:
I rather like the idea of a wiki. Possibly an FAQ. The only problem I can see arising here is that many growers are stuck in their ways and will disagree as to the best course. This problem is confounded by the fact that a variety of methods work, tobacco being rather forgiving once out of the seedling stage.

Perhaps a better way of going about this would be to have certain threads rated and those that stand out as being comprehensive to commonly asked questions; all put in the same place

We could have Caliginous or Roy make them stickies. So they always stay at the top.

Post subject: Re: Grow Journal
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:46 am 

I would very much like to start a growers log. I've ordered my seeds but haven't gotten them yet. I want to start the journal now but the appropriate section doesn't exist.
Grow journal section would be prefect for that.
-ScottT

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:20 am 

ScottTheEngineer wrote:
I would very much like to start a growers log. I've ordered my seeds but haven't gotten them yet. I want to start the journal now but the appropriate section doesn't exist.
Grow journal section would be prefect for that.
-ScottT

The appropriate place would be the picture gallery though I personally am not a fan of it. I would rather have section where each member could post a thread, updating it as necessary.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:44 pm 

A journal sounds great, I have spent hours reading these postings. I like the organization here. But, more areas could be nice. I did go look at coffinnails, I like this site better. I take alot of notes, and sort them, in my own file. But, of course, I still ask dumb questions. Newbies, like me, do that. :P

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:07 pm 

Cameron wrote:
Wolfbrother wrote:

Perhaps a better way of going about this would be to have certain threads rated and those that stand out as being comprehensive to commonly asked questions; all put in the same place

We could have Caliginous or Roy make them stickies. So they always stay at the top.

I like the idea of stickies at the top would really help the noobs like me.