How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Extracting Nicotine from Tobacco for Consumption
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:43 am 

Robust wrote:
whoa,when i have to swallow two or so mouthfulls of spit my stomach burns like hell,i will never start always swallowing,but it doesnt waste any of the nicotine does it?good,but painful lol

When I chew, which is about a few times a year, I always spit. Nicotine irritates the stomach which eventually can cause ulcers and other stomach problems which likely include cancers. Remember it's a dangerous toxin, so we must be careful how you consume it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:16 am 

Hey Roy,
check out my post on chimo. I have used it instead of lozenges. I was going to post the recipe here but i thought it deserved a thread of its own :)
And def don't drink tobacco tea! Not only would it taste horrible, it is dangerous!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:47 pm 

When I chew I spit

Baccy juice taste like chit and burns

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:43 am 

Robust wrote:
Well i chew grizzly,longhorn,and rooster wintergreen and occasionally swallow it when i cant spit,in the long-run can swallowing the nicotine be dangerous?

Yes very...but you will never have worms :P

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:35 pm 

Seriously, I'm no expert on nicotine. I'm still on the learning curve of this whole tobacco thing, but as someone else already said, a very potent insecticide can be made from leached nicotine. It is an extract, not a tincture. It is NOT recommended at all for edible plants or vegetables!

The runoff kills everything it touches, including earthworms.

Swallow your chew or dip?
Are you crazy?
Drink nicotene extract?
Suicidal!!!!!!

Here is an example of an insect I breed, rear and study routinely. This "bug' thrives on fresh, green tobacco and other ultra-toxic nightshades.
You guessed it...the tobacco hornworm!

Now I said it eats tobacco in the natural state.

Want to make a hornworm very sick or dead?
Feed it a leaf treated with that nicotine extract.

Seriously!!!!

I'm talking about an insect that flat-out thrives on baccer!!!

Man, we are not bugs. Just play it safe and smart!!!!

Please do not play or "experiment" with any nicotine concentrates!!!

Roy, since you don't smoke, how about just chewing or dipping some air-cured leaf? At least it is cured.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:54 am 

Tomatoworm_59- Whilst you are correct in saying that playing with tobacco extracts can be dangerous, if the correct precautions are taken it is in fact safe and enjoyable. Using any type of oral tobacco can be dangerous as the time it takes the nicotine to take effect is longer than with smoking tobacco. SO if you overdose on oral tobacco you won't know about it till its too late whereas with smoking the tobacco the nicotine is absorbed nearly instantly so you willl know well before you start to overdose.

If you take it slow with nicotine extracts (see my thread about chimo if you are interested) you may find that they are highly enjoyable. They are also discreet and there aren't any laws banning you from enjoying some chimo in an aeroplane, bus, taxi, restaurant, pub etc. Do not believe the anti tobacco nazis when they tell you that nicotine is going to kill you as, if you are careful, it won't. I have made MANY tobacco extracts, and consumed even more, and i have never managed to kill myself. One thing to remember though is that nicotine degrades over time. So if you make a bottle of chimo and consume the whole lot over a few months by the time you finish it it will be weakened. When you make your next batch it will be fresh and thus much stronger, so always go easy on nem extgracts!

Furthermore, I find tobacco leaf tea to be an effective (and incredibly cheap) pesticide in my garden. I have used it on both ornamental and vegetable. If you don't eat the veges for a week or two after application, and wash them before you eat them, then they are absolutely harmless. I'm pretty sure that the form of nicotine in tobacco (as opposed to nicotine sulfate in commercial preparations) decomposes rapidly in sunlight.
I have been using it for many years and funnily enought the bugs have built zero resistance to it. I sort of use it as a last resort as the tea will kill everything, including your friendly bugs, but if you have a heavy infestation of anything (and the friendly bugs aren't doing their jobs anyway) then nothing beats a decent helping of tobacco tea spray.

hope this help

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:59 am 

Tomato Worm_59. I'm a bit currious. Why do you breed these buggers? Do you run certain tests on them?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:31 am 

Hi everybody,

I am a Chemical Engineering student and I know a way or two to get pure Nicotine from leaves (as pure as a kitchen bench can allow it 8) ) I use it as a biodegradable pesticide (it is freakishly strong).
Would it be OK if I share or will this violate any rules?

Nicotine is toxic, 200 milligrams are more than enough to kill a medium bodied smoker, it can be absorbed radially through skin and could finish you in five minutes. There are no known antidotes for Nicotine poisoning (or at least to my knowledge).

H

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:32 am 

not a good idea to post it here. but I did see a forunm that was titled" how to eleminate pesty neighbors in 10 easy steps" not every one that reads are sane!!!!! lee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:54 am 

I had a bad experience with swallowing tobacco juice once! I was at work one day and I had tried to quit smoking. I needed a smoke real bad so I decided to buy a bag of long cut. Since I wasnt allowed to spit in the trash can, I decided to swallow my spit. Well after about 2 hours later I started getting nausious. Then it hit me like a freight train! I got real dizzy and started vomiting like I had been drinking heavily at least thats how I felt!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:01 am 

sticks wrote:
I had a bad experience with swallowing tobacco juice once! I was at work one day and I had tried to quit smoking. I needed a smoke real bad so I decided to buy a bag of long cut. Since I wasnt allowed to spit in the trash can, I decided to swallow my spit. Well after about 2 hours later I started getting nausious. Then it hit me like a freight train! I got real dizzy and started vomiting like I had been drinking heavily at least thats how I felt!

This is a typical Nicotine poisoning case, really textbook. It took more time to start since you ingested it but if it was through skin--->in minutes
A heavier dose would get you all that + fever :mrgreen:

You're lucky that it wasn't such a heavier dose.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:07 pm 
Site Admin

It's ok with me to post the info. A disclaimer should be boldly displayed such as the one I added to the below post:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1862&p=16095#p16095

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:51 pm 

:twisted: DEADLY POISONOUS! This information is available for knowledge only. DO NOT RISK ANYONES LIFE by preparing this substance! Nicotine is toxic, 200 milligrams are more than enough to kill a medium bodied smoker, and it can be absorbed radially through skin and could finish you in five minutes. There are no known antidotes for Nicotine poisoning (or at least to my knowledge). :twisted:
The chemicals used here are also toxic, Ammonia fume will make you dizzy if not vented and at higher concentrations will kill you. Hydrochloric acid is.. :idea: Yeah you guessed it IS AN ACID which by definition is corrosive and also could harm your lungs if not vented. Benzene is harmful and is classified as Class A carcinogen, while Toluene is less harmful and not classified as a carcinogen.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, I will not be held responsible if you hurt yourself or kill someone else.

This is one way of getting good purity Nicotine in your kitchen. I read the original method in a book called "Assorted Nastiest" by David Harber, this is the modified recipe (I modified it). This modification is very close to what tobacco companies do to increase the addictivity of cigarettes.

You will need the following:

1- Some pots and heat resistant containers (ceramic or glass) I use beakers since they are available to me.
2- Dried tobacco leaves (Rustica is the best, no need to cure it)
3- Hydrochloric acid "HCL" (20% preferably)
4- Liquid ammonia (NH4OH)
5- Benzene or Toluene from the hardware store
6- Something to stir with preferably glass of plastic (Teflon)
7- Distilled water
8- Coffee filter or a cloth
9- Thick gloves or normal double gloves
10- Funnel
11- Jar

Calculation:

Nicotine in rustica is about 9% tops of its weight and up to 3% in other varieties, so by simply calculating it--> for every 100 grams of leaves we get 9 grams of Nicotine.
And with some complex calculations we get that 3-9 drops of HCL to add.

Procedure:

1- Crush the leaves as fine as you can but do not grind them since you'll need to remove them later
2- Mix one Liter distilled water and crushed leaves in a bowl/beaker and stir until all wet, put on stove and heat to 100-120 F
4- Keep it warm and add Hydrochloric acid (amount calculated)
5- Keep stirring and cover with a lid, avoid using metallic components since we are using acid here
6- After an hour heat up the mixture to 140 F and then cool it without the lid in a well-ventilated place
7- Filter the mash with the coffee filter/cloth using the funnel
8- Add 1 ml of 20% (or more) Ammonia to your filtrate and stir for 5 minutes
9- Heat the solution again to 120 F
Now the solution is mainly composed of Water, Nicotine, Ammonium chloride and some organic impurities.
10- Cool down the mixture and add Benzene or toluene and mix in a jar, shake vigorously until the mixture is opaque
11- Leave it to settle overnight, the next morning you'll find water with another layer of benzene/toluene over it.
12- Slowly pour this layer The benzene layer) in another container or you can draw it with a syringe
13- Leave this container open in a well-ventilated area until it evaporates, you can speed up the process by putting it in a hot water bath.
14- The crystals left in the container are Nicotine, this is a high purity FREE BASE Nicotine, this is as toxic as it can get.
15- Store it in a dark container and out it in a dry cool place with a skull-crossbones logo on it

Regarding the matter of consuming it...I don't know how would you cut it, the product should be 5 grams so while the normal dose is 1 milligram which is 1/5000. Maybe you could mix it with 10 pounds of sugar or something.

Disposing of the products would be fairly easy since the water would contain some about 4 grams/Liter of Ammonium chloride (a fertilizer), traces of nicotine and its salts, trace of benzene and other organic stuff from the leaves + the retentate (tobacco leaves) which could be used as compost. You could just drain it in the sewers or in a flower bed. (thanks to Deluxestogie for pointing out :mrgreen: )

I will say it again,

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, I will not be held responsible if you hurt yourself or kill someone else.

Your chemistry freak,
Hakamo0o

Last edited by hakamo0o on Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:41 pm 

Since my name has been appended to Hakam's post, I feel it necessary to clarify my position on the subject.

I don't advocate:
  1. Publishing this recipe on this forum;
  2. Using this recipe;
  3. Disposing of toxic materials in the sewers.

Aside from the extremely hazardous nicotine that it produces, non-chemists should be warned that benzene and toluene are toxic. Exposure to benzene liquid or vapor is associated with the development of leukemia. Knowingly disposing of these toxins (even "trace" amounts) into your waste water system is unwise, and is illegal anywhere in the US. Manufacturing pure nicotine at home could be viewed by others in a most alarming way.

Bob

Post subject: Re: Extracting Nicotine from Tobacco
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:14 am 

Benzene and Toluene are readily biodegradable in the environment, Ammonium chloride will act as a buffer and a fertilizer and Nicotine is a good pesticide; so if you just throw this in some flower bed it won't hurt. A single wash cycle contains way more chemicals than that.

Last edited by hakamo0o on Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.