How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Extracting Nicotine from Tobacco
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:30 pm 
Site Admin

I gave-up smoking and now use expensive nicotine losengers. I know nicotine is water soluble so I'm thinking about making a tobacco tea I can sip instead of using the losengers.
Another idea I had was to create the tea, add a bunch of sugar and make a candy out of it. The problem is I don't want to rot my teeth.
Has anyone else thought about doing this or have any ideas? I'd like something that is easy to prepare and not messy to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:30 am 

I would advise you not to try this as tobacco tea is extremely dangerous consuming it could kill you just splashing it on your skin can make you extremely ill.
To extract nicotine & convert it to a stable form you would need laboratary conditions it is not something the average person can do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:32 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the warning! What do you think about curing the tobacco like you would for chewing then put the amount a person would normally put into their mouth into a tea "bag"? I would think if if I steeped the bag in a large enough mug of water and sipped it slowly I would be ok.
When I chewed tobacco I think I managed to suck all the nicotine goodness out over a period of time. I know people make insect poison by soaking the fresh leaves overnight but I thought the nicotine level decreased enough during the curing process to make it manageable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:22 am 

People make insecticide from small quantities of cured tobacco too which is also extremely potent.
If you are just infusing the leaves for a few minutes like you would if you were making a herbal tea it might be ok but personally I wouldn't want to try it.
The nicotine won't stay pure for long it will combine with whatever else is availiable to it turning into nicotine oxide, nicotine sulphate etc... and will then evaporate so you won't be able to store it in liquid form fo long you will have to make a fresh infusion each time you require it.
Cotinine is the primary nicotine based chemical absorbed when smoking a cigarette there is no actual nicotine as it boils off when the tobacco burns, I am not sure what you would normally get from chewing tobacco though.
Cotinine is produced when the tobacco is heated as nicotine has a much lower boiling point than water you will produce plenty of that when making the tea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:44 pm 

It is mentioned quite a lot on the internet that Nicotiana Glauca is used to make a medicinal tobacco tea. That might be more suitable for your purposes.
Germination can be a bit more difficult than other types of tobacco but it will grow as a perennial if you are in zone8 (if not you will need to protect it from frost in the winter) so you won't have to sow seeds every year, I know Chris had it growing outdoors in the UK without any problems.
There are plenty of sites selling seeds for it they often describe it as tree tobacco if you have any problems locating seeds then I can email you details of a few sites that sell it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:35 am 
Site Admin

Where I grew-up in Southern California N. glauca was a common weed. I even smoked some of the brown dried leaf but it hardly has any nicotine. It does have something poisonous in it because people use it to make insecticide spray. I still remember the bad smell it had when we broke and cut it while making trails.
I think it would be interesting to try grafting a high-nicotine strain on the glauca root-stock because glauca will grow wild in semi-arid areas in dry streambeds et. It must have very deep roots and I think not having to water might make it worth the labor to graft it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:38 pm 

N. Glauca is used for smoking, chewing, drinking and has medicinal uses. It contains only trace nicotine, its major alkaloid is anabasine, similar in action, but much less toxic.
It is often used to produce tobacco for for shisha pipes which many ex smokers seem to think it is ok to smoke as there is no real nicotine in the tobacco.
The current research being done on it is to determine it's usefulness in curing addictions as there are many claims it can treat nearly any addiction from nicotine to heroin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:12 pm 

http://physchem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/NI/nicotine.html

You should be able to steep tobacco in water, strain out the plant matter, and boil most of the water off the tea. This should leave you with a crude nicotine extract, along with a few other things.

If you happen to have some HCl, NaOH, and toluene lying around, you could do the common acid/base alkaloid extract, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Last edited by ibrokemybrains on Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:48 pm 

Here are the 2 most commonly used nicotine extraction methods although neither is safe to do outside of a laboratary environment & neither gives you the required forms of nicotine. You would still have to convert it to nicotine polacrilex or cotinine.

Nicotine, C10H14N2, is a liquid alkaloid which exists chiefly as malate in the leaves of Nicotiana Tabacum, Linn. (N.O. Solanaceae), the dried Virginian leaf sometimes containing as much as 7 per cent. It may be obtained by digesting the leaves in acidified water, evaporating to a small bulk, and distilling with excess of potassium hydroxide; shaking the distillate with ether, distilling the ethereal solution, and placing the residual nicotine in contact with quicklime to remove water, and finally distilling it in a current of hydrogen. Commercially it is extracted from the leaves with kerosene, and purified. It occurs as a very hygroscopic, colourless or yellowish, oily liquid, having an unpleasant, pungent, and acrid odour of stale, burnt tobacco. It gradually becomes brown in contact with the air, and is inflammable. In very dilute, aqueous solution, it has a sharp, burning, and persistent taste. It is extremely poisonous, nearly sixteen times more so than coniine. The free base is laevorotatory, the salts dextrorotatory. Its aqueous solution is alkaline, and turns red litmus blue, but does not redden phenol phthalein. Specific gravity, 1.01. Boiling-point, 240° to 242°. It remains liquid at -10°, and volatilises readily and without decomposition in a current of steam. Applied to paper it leaves an oily stain, which gradually disappears. Concentrated sulphuric and nitric acids produce no colour in the cold. Five decimils (0.5 milliliters) of nicotine warmed with 15 decimils (1.5 milliliters) of water should give no turbidity (absence of coniine). It should also remain clear when mixed with twice its volume of ether. Potassium hydroxide separates it from its aqueous solution. Bromine added to a dilute aqueous solution forms a yellow flocculent precipitate. Chlorine colours it brown to blood-red. It is precipitated by most of the usual alkaloidal reagents. On adding an ethereal solution of iodine to an ethereal solution of nicotine, a brownish-red resinous precipitate falls; this gradually becomes crystalline, while from the supernatant liquid translucent ruby-red crystals with a blue opalescence separate. Oxidation with chromic acid mixture yields nicotinic acid, and this, when distilled with lime, yields pyridine.

Freely soluble in water, alcohol, ether, petroleum ether, terpenes, or the fixed oils.

Nicotine tartrate or bitartrate, C10H14N2(C4H6O6)2, 2H2O, may be prepared by dissolving 10 of nicotine in an alcoholic solution of 18.5 of tartaric acid, and shaking out with ether; on evaporating the ether, nicotine tartrate separates out as an oil. It may be crystallised from absolute alcohol containing ether. It occurs in tufts of colourless or reddish-white crystals.

This LINK lists the chemical properties of the most common forms of nicotine & in some cases their uses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:06 pm 

Recently while twisting out some excess rum from a twist I made, I was using my bare hands. The black tobacco / rum juice was staining my hands and dripping down my arm. I noticed the juices were starting to warm the skin of my hands a bit.

A few hours later, I wasn't sick, but I was defiantly still having a nicotine high, and had to lay down for an hour or so.

I guess I post this as a slight warning to be aware of tobacco juice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:59 am 

I heard of a guy that used to mix coffee, tea and also add a pinch of copenhagen snuff in with it .
He drank that all the time as you normally would a cup of coffee .
Aparently it was quite the eye opener in the morning . :shock: :lol:
I have still yet to try it .....

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:09 pm 

yogibear wrote:
I heard of a guy that used to mix coffee, tea and also add a pinch of copenhagen snuff in with it .
He drank that all the time as you normally would a cup of coffee .
Aparently it was quite the eye opener in the morning . :shock: :lol:
I have still yet to try it .....

now, that doesnt sound bad at all.
<laughing>

Maybe substitute that for my morning smoke.

Though, knowing me would probably end up doing both.

If I had an endless supply of nicotine patches I think I would wear them like a belt.

Tom

Post subject: Re: Extracting Nicotine from Tobacco for Consumption
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:58 am 

Well i chew grizzly,longhorn,and rooster wintergreen and occasionally swallow it when i cant spit,in the long-run can swallowing the nicotine be dangerous?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:34 pm 

I wouldn't think so, I knew a guy who never spit, ever. :shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:35 pm 

whoa,when i have to swallow two or so mouthfulls of spit my stomach burns like hell,i will never start always swallowing,but it doesnt waste any of the nicotine does it?good,but painful lol