How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HELP
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:41 pm 
My refrigerator kiln is work great.But seem i have one problem not enough room.

Now i have seen tis some where on here before where a guy use his ref but he put the baccy in burlap bags.
I'm thinking of that as well,but can I put green leaves in the burlap and cure it that way are do i still need to color cure frist.Only way I can think of to get all the baccy in there.

Post subject: Re: HELP
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:52 pm 

I'm new at this, but all my reading says that you can store dried, color cured leaves in cardboard boxes until you can get them in the kiln so why not kiln cure them in batches. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:51 pm 

Dragon, you are right. Just let the leaf dry (not bone dry) and store it until you have room in your kiln. It will store for years that way.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:41 pm 
even if it still green

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:58 pm 

Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you harvested before it was ripe. Check this post on how another forum member artificially ripened his tobacco. Then you would just need to color cure before storage. Don't need a kiln for that, just make sure it dries slowly.

-Allen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:17 am 

If you dried it green, I'd moisten the leaf up and try to dry it slowly again. However, you may never get the green out or you may that's been a topic of discussion here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:15 pm 

Yeah baccaguy, keep repeating bringing it to case and slow drying. With any luck it’ll eventually color cure.

However, I accidentally crispified a leaf or two with a 500-watt shop light – oops! – took only a few minutes! I believe there’s no way in the universe it will ever be any different. I think once the rib is bone-dry and the leaf thoroughly dead it’ll take a lot more than the dreaded waiting game to revive. But hey, if it doesn't turn to the equivalent of boiled spinach there's still hope.