How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Making moist snuff AKA dip
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:33 pm 

Anyone have instructions for making moist snuff AKA dip, or snus?

Post subject: Re: Making moist snuff AKA dip
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:10 pm 

A Danish friend of mine kept ranting on about these. I'd like to give it a try.

I found this recipe through a Blackle search but haven't actually tried it myself nor, really know what to expect. Nevertheless I offer it in good faith.

Batch of Snus in 4 simple stages

1. Boil 400ml of water for every 250 grams of snus powder, along with one bag of salt (72g). Make sure that all of the salt dissolves. When the salted water has cooled to approximately 50 degrees (centigrade) can you can start mixing in the snus powder. Allow the mixture to stand for one hour without stirring. The container you use can be either plastic, glass, ceramic or a stainless bowl. Cover the container with aluminium foil, making sure that light cannot enter.

2. The container with the snuff powder mixture should now be set in an environment of approximately 50 degrees (centigrade), where the mixture will sweat for 5 days (and nights). If you do not have access to a boiler-room or heated cabinets, you can, in the worst case, use the kitchen oven, although this may prove unpopular amongst your hungry family members. You can also build a heat-box with an ordinary box lined with styrofoam. Depending on the ambient temperature and the insulation in the box, you can then use an ordinary tungsten lightbulb of 25-60W to heat the inside.

You should stir the mixture daily and if it becomes dry, simply add 100ml of boiled water.

3. After five days, open the container and mix in a bag of soda (sodium carbonate 22g). Simply pour the powder onto the snus mixture and be sure to distribute it evenly. Mix in a bottle glycerol/propylene-glycol. You can now add in the flavouring if you do not want plain-flavoured snus. Take care with the amount you use and test it on a small batch if you don't want to risk flavouring the whole batch.

4. Your snuff is now completed and ready to be packaged. If the humidity is too high high, lay the snus on a newspaper covered with paper towel to let it dry for approximately 2-4 hours depending on room temperature. Pack the snuff in tins or boxes. Remember that storage increases the aroma. In order to always have fresh snus, be sure to store your tins in the fridge or freezer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:36 pm 

Thanks for the instructions. If you want to try some sus pouches try generalsnus.com they sent me 4 different flavor sample pack, and it took about a week for me to get mine.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:05 pm 

what is snus powder?is there anyway we can make dip how they did back when these chemicals werent known of?today the main ingredients are tobacco(of course),fiberglass,and sand.could we we just shred cured tobacco,then put some like sand(very small amount)and thistles(or something safer/less painful like that) and mix it in?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:33 pm 

I've never heard of fiberglass in chew.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:08 pm 

its got fiberglass in it to like cut the inside of your lip alittle so more nicotine gets into yor blood stream

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 pm 

there is no fiberglass in dip or chew. If it isn't food grade ANYTHING it don't go in. Usually it is just salt, water, flavoring, etc that is added. NOTHING that isn't edible can go in. Snopes link here http://www.snopes.com/business/alliance/menthol.asp down the page it has a quote about smokeless tobacco.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:44 pm 

There is no fiberglass in any tobacco products. The reason there are so many false claims that smokeless tobacco products contain abrasive substances such as fiberglass or sand is that some tobacco products contain salt, under certain circumstances salt crystals are visible in such products & these crystals were mistaken for glass by some people as time went on these rumours changed & other materials alleged to be included were substituted instead of glass.
If you take a closer look at these rumours you will notice that fiberglass was alleged to of been included in smokeless tobacco around 200 years before it was actually invented which would give you an idea of the degree of accuracy in these rumours.

The only time fiberglass has been used in a smoking product was when R.J. Reynolds released the 'Premier' a type of smokeless cigarette or nicotine delivery system which preceded the current ecigarettes. The fiberglass was used in the shell of the product & could not of been consumed therefore would of been of negligible risk.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:29 pm 

oh,i had always thought that fiber glass made dip better than chew such as redman,now i feel like a dumbass.well why is a smaller amount of dip better than a large chew?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:03 pm 

It absorbs faster, and is processed in a different manner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:52 pm 

Robust wrote:
oh,i had always thought that fiber glass made dip better than chew such as redman,now i feel like a dumbass.well why is a smaller amount of dip better than a large chew?

It's alright Robust. I thought the same thing. I always wondered why the inside of my lip didn't itch after I spit a dip.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:26 pm 

krazykracker wrote:

It's alright Robust. I thought the same thing. I always wondered why the inside of my lip didn't itch after I spit a dip.

It's true they put something to irritate the skin. Some say it's better to switch place in the lip where you have the dip. I'd personally vote for making your own, but smokeless tobacco hasn't been expanded as much as smoking has on this forums.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:39 pm 

I just want to add here that Swedish snus is made from dried, but unfermented leaves. It's only important if you're trying to accurately recreate the process and/or if want the "healthy" effects of using snus. Quotes used loosely.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:24 pm 

Tried some Camel Snus today. Not much different from chew. Don't know about you guys but it made me spit just like chew but not quite as much. Can't say I'll buy anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:29 pm 

Camel snus isn't like real snus. If you want to try the real thing, search for General Snus, they sent me a 4 pack of samples.