How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dry Nasal Snuff
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:57 pm 

For those who may not know, nasal snuff is finely powdered tobacco that is gently sniffed into the nose, like you see in old movies.

But has anyone ever tried making it??

Post subject: Re: Dry Nasal Snuff
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:56 pm 

It's what happens when you push the button too long on one of those little veggie chopper/shredders.

Doesn't quite work for me...
:-)
rc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:55 am 

There are quite a few of us that make snus. Snus is basically a wetter version of snuf. Dip is basically snus that is not finely ground. All three are very similar.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:15 pm 

Any better ways to make it really fine for small amounts? I have dried N. rustica var. 'Kessu' leafs, which while strong compared to most tobaccos, I can take an 1-2 cm^2, steam it/moisten it in my mouth and let it sit there for a while, sorta like snus. But I want to find an easy way to pound a bit of it, powderize it to a fine powder (without a razor like a coke head, that would take forever), then perhaps add a camphor or menthol flavor to it?

is there a way to do this, ie process dried leaf into old fashioned camphor/menthol scented dry snuff?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:29 am 

A mortar & pestle works best, but a clean blade coffee grinder will give satisfactory results. You will also need a fine mesh sieve. Get your tobacco absolutely bone dry. I usually put mine in a low oven, but sun drying will work just fine. Put the dry leaf in the grinder & keep grinding until it suits you. Empty it onto your sieve (use a small bristle paint brush or feather to collect the fine dust that clings to the lid) and sift it at least three times. You can regrind what doesn't pass through the sieve if it seems worthwhile. For flavoring, I believe that you can find menthol crystals on Ebay or other on line sources. Camphor oil is available from LorAnn.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:59 am 

okay so pound it with a mortar and pestle, or a makeshift one, then use a brush to get the last out. Sieve? You mean like a Dollar Tree splatter shield or something? I have a few of those for saving seeds, from the Kessu Pods I let bloom out under an isolation tent.

As for storage, would an amber vial work? I have one that has a sealed lid, and possibly put that in a air tight container with dessicants or sillica gel? I don't know how I would fill it, maybe get a Pyrex funnel, or something.

Also, I made a bamboo straw to use for the sniffing. I know you don't snort it, because all that leaf in your sinuses wouldn't likely be a good thing, It'd probably give someone a bacterial or fungal infection in there.

I tried the straw yesterday, and slowly sniffed a bit in my nose, and it seems like a great way to clear your sinuses, if you get allergies, like I do. I can't take PE or Pseudo because of the whole hypertension thing. So it seems like snuff might help with allergies and clearing my nose in the future, as long as you don't snort it I suppose.

p.s.
Would tiger balm be a good way to flavor it? that has lots of camphor, etc.

p.p.s. I wonder if Betel Nuts would be a good additive to the kessu snuff in the future, because they activate the muscarinic Receptors as well, and that might make the Dipping, chewing, or snuffing experience