How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Home Made Dip Tutorial
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:30 pm 

I have been making my own dip for quite some time, and have spent many hours fine tuning to my taste, This is how I make it with very good results. And your friends will be expecting you to make more !
Start with shredding/grinding your tobacco to the desired consistency, make sure to take your stems and grind them separately to the same consistency as your leaf (grinding them together does not work well because they grind at different rates) putting the stems into the mix is important for texture, I even add extra. Dip has a lot of stems. If you use only leaf it will have a mushy/soft squishy feel on the lip without much body.
Put the ground tobacco in a pie tin/cookie sheet and bake at 200 deg. for about 30 to 40 min. until it is bone dry. This is very important so that the tobacco will readily absorb all the flavoring. Tobacco that has any moisture content will not take in flavor or color very well at all.
After it is bone dry, put it in a quart mason jar and fill about 3/4 full. set aside.
In a small bowl mix the following:
1/2 cup soy sauce (I found that soy sauce adds something that salt alone does not have)
1 tbs of molasses (has sulfur and is important)
1 tbs of baking soda (kills the acidity in the tobacco)
1 tsp honey (just like it better than white sugar)
1 tsp of liquid smoke (Is what makes dip..dip and is absolutely a must)
1/2 tsp of salt (to add extra salt that the soy sauce shouldn't provide)
1 tsp of concentrated wintergreen flavoring (Or mint, or spearmint, or vanilla, or whatever flavor floats your boat)
Mix well and wait for the foam to go away then slowly add and stir this into the tobacco until it is fully wet but no puddle in the bottom of the jar, if puddle occurs just add more tobacco. Keep it covered in a dark warm place (i prefer on top of my boiler in my basement) for at least 2 weeks, stirring it every couple of days. before you are ready to can it, spread it out on a tray to let it dry to the right moisture level that you prefer. It might take a few hours to a day or more.
This recipe makes dip almost identical to Kodiak Wintergreen
Copenhagen is a much less complex formula. To make Cope, don't use the honey and only use half the amount of molasses, and I would add a little more salt, and of course don't add the wintergreen flavoring, Cope is also ground finer and has less moisture. So play with the recipe a bit to suit your taste but I think you will find that it is damn close !

Post subject: Re: Home Made Dip Tutorial
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:06 pm 

Looks good to me!

and I'll bet the soy sauce contributes very well !

What are you grinding with?

Best
rc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:05 pm 

rustycase wrote:
Looks good to me!

and I'll bet the soy sauce contributes very well !

What are you grinding with?

Best
rc

For the leaf I use a modified hand crank 1mm angel hair pasta machine with small teeth ground into the blades for traction. I have a hopper on top and a catch drawer on the bottom and I run it through twice and end up with sort of a long cut with some finer cut mixed in it. For the stems I use a large Krupps electric coffee grinder and grind them to the same consistency.
You got it about the soy sauce !! Besides the liquid smoke, It is one of the best salt additives for dip, It has that certain fermented smell to it that compliments it very well. For some strange reason when all of the ingredients above are mixed together it has some sort of chemical reaction and foams all up and becomes alive and immediately gets that ammonia fermented smell that dip has, I tried hundreds of different combinations of different ingredients including bakers ammonia,which I am not a fan of...But this recipe nails it. Try it, as soon as you mix it together you will be amazed at the familiar odor it produces. I use Wrights hickory liquid smoke, that seems to be the best at getting that heavy fire cured taste, without even using fire cured baccy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:36 pm 

Tnx Nic!

I do have a Villaware angel hair pasta head around here, somewhere, that I have never put a drill motor to... I'll look for it, again...
And I actually DO have a Krups coffee bean burr grinder! I used it 3 or 4 months ago for some java, so it's probably not buried too deep. :-)
Got large amounts of stems stored up...

Another year has gone by and I did not get Mullein planted!
It's a key ingredient in Lonnie's chew recipe...
They are probably around here, wild, but never see em when you want em!

I tried a home concocted Cope recipe a few years back and botched it.
Actually, my grind was similar to Cope, but I was looking for more of a beechnut or redman flavor.
A shot of maple syrup was the wrong thing to do... lol
I probably could have used a shot of glycerine, too...
Anyhow, I still got about a 1/4 lb of it hangin about, somewhere... it's not much good.

I'll try your recipe soon.
Tnx
rc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:38 am 

rustycase wrote:
Tnx Nic!

I do have a Villaware angel hair pasta head around here, somewhere, that I have never put a drill motor to... I'll look for it, again...
And I actually DO have a Krups coffee bean burr grinder! I used it 3 or 4 months ago for some java, so it's probably not buried too deep. :-)
Got large amounts of stems stored up...

Another year has gone by and I did not get Mullein planted!
It's a key ingredient in Lonnie's chew recipe...
They are probably around here, wild, but never see em when you want em!

I tried a home concocted Cope recipe a few years back and botched it.
Actually, my grind was similar to Cope, but I was looking for more of a beechnut or redman flavor.
A shot of maple syrup was the wrong thing to do... lol
I probably could have used a shot of glycerine, too...
Anyhow, I still got about a 1/4 lb of it hangin about, somewhere... it's not much good.

I'll try your recipe soon.
Tnx
rc

This is the first I have heard of Mullen being used for chew/dip..I somehow missed it, and did not know about it's importance..Hmm, I read up on it and it sounds good! I wish i had heard about the use of it earlier, the stuff grows like wildfire around here in Massachusetts..I literally have a hundred just around the edge of my property, anywhere it gets full sun with sandy soil and does not get mowed or weeded..i must have pulled 15 this year just out of my garden alone..The road sides around these parts are also randomly littered with it. I just went outside to check it out and apparently the freezing weather and snow has got the best of it, the plants look like a pile of brown snot..Next summer give me a heads up and I will send you a bale of it LOL !! Have you ever used it? If so how did you use it?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:33 pm 

lol

That's what my left-behind baccy plants look like now, a putrid dark green gelled snot!
lol

I couldn't think of anything uglier that was not bleeding...

I have never tried using mullein... Lonnie said so, and that's good enough for me! :-)
Lonnie was a really good guy, and very knowledgeable...

But I'll try yours, without the mullein! Soon...
rc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:54 am 

Nic, thanks for the recipe. Always looking for dip and chew recipes.

Rusty, you'd better get a jump on it. I'm reading that mullein takes 2 years to start flowering. Already got mine sprouted :D.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:06 am 

lol

i did not know that part, fal...

just about everyone says it's not much more than a weed, is all over the place, and ???

I've probably got it around here, but haven't seen it.

2yrs... lol that won't work, will it !

Best
rc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:31 pm 

So I've heard some critiscim of this recipe, but I like it. Though it is a tad salty for me.

I'm not sure if nic is still around but I'm wondering if the high salt content is to combat the mold I've heard of others having without another type of preservative?

I'd like to try and cut the salt a bit and will unless someone chimes in within a couple days. I'd like to substitute about 1/3 of the 1/2 cup of soy sauce with Worcestershire instead as I think it would mix well with the liquid smoke.
Thoughts?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:35 am 

Salt is used as an anti microbial. You can probably cut the salt in half and still be ok. You could also add some Glycerine to the mix. It is an anti microbial and adds to the mouth feel of the dip. I'd be more worried about the sugars though (rotting your teeth).

Experiment and find out what you like.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:06 pm 

Jitterbugdude wrote:
Salt is used as an anti microbial. You can probably cut the salt in half and still be ok. You could also add some Glycerine to the mix. It is an anti microbial and adds to the mouth feel of the dip. I'd be more worried about the sugars though (rotting your teeth).

Experiment and find out what you like.

Thanks jitterbug.

I'm not too concerned about the sugars in this recipe as its pretty nonexistent being only a tsp lol :)
Were you saying that adding glycerin would add sugars?

Yeah i was hesitant about cutting the salt too much and growing mold.

I will indeed experiment a bit and update. This recipe is way easier than the casking for months and other such recipes though.
Thanks Jitterbug.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:36 am 

irishmick wrote:
Jitterbugdude wrote:
Were you saying that adding glycerin would add sugars?

No, just saying that adding Glycerine will help prevent mold and add to the texture. It does not add any sugar.