How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Copenhagen?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:36 pm 

I got my hands on some really nice fire cured tobacco and am wanting to try a Copenhagen clone. I have a few ideas but was wondering if anyone had tried it with any measure of success. My ideas are pretty basic was figuring to use a little water some salt, sugar, and some soda. No clue as to the ratios just gonna start experimenting. If anyone has any suggestions I would welcome the advice. Thanks and happy Labor Day to all!!

Post subject: Re: Copenhagen?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:27 am 

You can get on their website and look at their recipe for Cope. It does not give all the nitty gritty details but enough of the ingredients to get you started. I found it interesting that they do not use sugar. They use a different forms of sweeteners depending on the product.

Post subject: Re: Copenhagen? Home made dip tutorial !
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:26 pm 

I have been making my own dip for quite some time, and have spent many hours fine tuning to my taste, This is how I make it with very good results. And your friends will be expecting you to make more !
Start with shredding/grinding your tobacco to the desired consistency, make sure to take your stems and grind them separately to the same consistency as your leaf (grinding them together does not work well because they grind at different rates) putting the stems into the mix is important for texture, I even add extra. Dip has a lot of stems. If you use only leaf it will have a mushy/soft squishy feel on the lip without much body.
Put the ground tobacco in a pie tin/cookie sheet and bake at 200 deg. for about 30 to 40 min. until it is bone dry. This is very important so that the tobacco will readily absorb all the flavoring. Tobacco that has any moisture content will not take in flavor or color very well at all.
After it is bone dry, put it in a quart mason jar and fill about 3/4 full. set aside.
In a small bowl mix the following:
1/2 cup soy sauce (I found that soy sauce adds something that salt alone does not have)
1 tbs of molasses (has sulfur and is important)
1 tbs of baking soda (kills the acidity in the tobacco)
1 tsp honey (just like it better than white sugar)
1 tsp of liquid smoke (Is what makes dip..dip and is absolutely a must)
1/2 tsp of salt (to add extra salt that the soy sauce shouldn't provide)
1 tsp of concentrated wintergreen flavoring (Or mint, or spearmint, or vanilla, or whatever flavor floats your boat)
Mix well and wait for the foam to go away then slowly add and stir this into the tobacco until it is fully wet but no puddle in the bottom of the jar, if puddle occurs just add more tobacco. Keep it covered in a dark warm place (i prefer on top of my boiler in my basement) for at least 2 weeks, stirring it every couple of days. before you are ready to can it, spread it out on a tray to let it dry to the right moisture level that you prefer. It might take a few hours to a day or more.
This recipe makes dip almost identical to Kodiak Wintergreen
Copenhagen is a much less complex formula. To make Cope, don't use the honey and only use half the amount of molasses, and I would add a little more salt, and of course don't add the wintergreen flavoring, Cope is also ground finer and has less moisture. So play with the recipe a bit to suit your taste but I think you will find that it is damn close !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:18 am 

Thanks Nik!
I will be trying this in a week or two. I've got some crispy frost damaged leaves i'm going to try first, and see if i can work around problems with early frost. My first picking is almost cured, and the major harvest just got hung up. I'll let ya know how it turns out. I think your recipe is easy enough even i can do it. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:39 pm 

Yah!

Tnx Nick!
rc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:50 pm 

Ok Nick,
i managed to get my hands on some local aged Burley n Shirley, (thanks sky) and i made my first batch today.
A couple things
1. I used a coffee bean grinder, it took a while to grind, but i was able to get it to the right consistency i like. I ground the stems separately, that worked out real well.
2. I found I was unable to get Molasses locally that had sulfur, so i used the non sulfur kind, i was wondering what the consequences were.
3. I think i had too much tobacco for the recipe.

Anyway, got it on top of the hot water tank, and waiting to see how it turns out. Sure would be nice to not have to buy it any more.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:25 am 

I made a quick video on how I make copenhagen, i got the recipe from here, and tweaked it a little. I've been doing this since September, and use last year's (first year) crop. I've tried different blends of bacca, but haven't noticed any significance better, or worse, plus, i can use some of the leaves that dried a bit green.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQpRCOq184E

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:26 am 

I use a preasure cooker and a meat grinder on Mine. I prefer a long cut type or large grind.