How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chewing tobacco varieties
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:01 pm 

Due to a very inflexible work schedule, it is difficult to keep a garden. I was able to get a few plants through the summer so far, but I will not have enough. I have been looking at buying some whole leaf online. I have checked into the legality of it and I hope not to make this a discussion of taxation, but would like to know what kind of leaf would be best for chewing tobacco. I won't mention the site but they sell fronto leaf scraps for a pretty good price. Would it make for a good chew? I would much rather grow and harvest my own, and hope to be able to next year, but for the time being I need a substitute. There are other options but the costs go up, just wondering if anyone else has had to resort to buying whole leaf and how it worked out. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Chewing tobacco varieties
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:38 am 

Any leaf can be used for chewing, it just depends on your tastes whether you will like it or not. Burley is pretty common for chew. Back in the 1800's a lot of chew was made from cigar scraps and there was even chew made from flue cured "Bright" tobacco. It is your choice... go on and experiment.

There are subtle differences in the different tobaccos. Burley will soak up a lot of sauce, so will a Maryland variety but the Maryland variety is very soft and will not give you a long chew. I have not tried flue cured but I personally do not think it would make a good chew. That might be because I do not care much for flue cure tobacco. Turkish chew tastes a bit odd.

So... If you have a choice, try some Burley or cigar leaf.

Post subject: Re: Chewing tobacco varieties
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:08 pm 

Yup, as JBD said, burley is pretty stout and will definitely soak up a lot of 'sauce' of your choice.

The burley is pretty darned stout, as plants go... if you can get it some water every couple days it will grow like a weed!
Definitely not a sensitive plant, so it would do very well with a busy work schedule...

Good luck
rc