How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nicotine extraction
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:16 am 

wasnt sure where to put this thread. so mods feel free to move if necessary.

i have been looking into methods of extracting nicotine from dry leaf, and making "e-liquid" out of it for use with "electronic cigarettes". by doing this one can skip the whole curing process as the flavor does not make a difference with the final product.

as i was harvesting some of my crop, i couldnt help but start eyeballing the rest of the plant...stems, stalk, roots, flowers...

does anybody know if these other parts of the plant contain any amount of nicotine suitable for extraction?

id hate to just throw them all away... :lol:

Post subject: Re: Nicotine extraction
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:22 am 

All of the plant contains nicotine. It really pisses me off to have to throw away the stems and roots - I use the flowers.

I love the e-cigs but I think you'd need a chemistry lab and resident scientist to make the liquid. I shall watch this thread optimistically though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:50 am 

Hi
Read this first.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=848&start=30
Poison Think Deadly.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:42 am 

Hi
From what I have read and the little stem we use , the stems and stocks do have nicotine in them but to use them you need to shred small enough to use in cigarettes or as filler in cigars or powder for a snuff. most time isn't worth while . I use the smaller stems shredded because it is easier to shred them than to remove them for me. Back problem and fingers don't bend much any more.I can type without bending fingers I don't write any more.
The nicotine is really deadly. I think something like the amount on the head of a pin kills instantly. And can be absorbed through the skin . Don't touch.
Lee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:24 am 

There is nicotine in the stems, though lower than the lamina. [Some organic insecticide manufacturers purchase bales of tobacco stems for that reason.] The stalks, on the other hand, are so woody that I don't have any idea how one would prepare them for smoking.

In smoking tobacco, if you absorb too much nicotine, it makes you feel ill for a while. If you swallow tobacco leaf or the juice from chew, it triggers vomiting before you absorb a lethal dose (usually). With liquid preparations of nicotine, either consumed or absorbed through the skin, you can be exposed to a lethal dose before you feel ill. It's really not stuff for an amateur to experiment with casually.

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:50 am 

i do believe i have the necessary skills and equipment to pull it off. however i am still going to hold off until i can find a safe way to quantify the amount of nicotine in the plant.there are too many factors influencing the nicotine content, and i dont feel experienced enough yet with this plant to try it.

hell i dont even know what strain im growing. the guy told me but it wasnt important to me at the time, i was just happy to have the cuttings and be growing tobacco!

that being said im not ready to abandon my stems/stocks/roots/etc... i hate to waste anything.

backyard e-liquid production has advanced a bit since that thread (which i am eternally grateful for smbdyiam) as one can find various online calculators but they are all using store bought cigarettes/cigars which are much easier to quantify.Loose leaf is hard enough to measure, taking it a step further and using say...stocks would be too risky imo.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:25 pm 

LOL

Now that, just strikes me as funny, I don't care who yah are!

Someone calling himself garbageman declaring, "i do believe i have the necessary skills and equipment to pull it off."

:-)

Of course I would have no clue if you may, or may not be, a Phd in Physics on sabatical from the CERN project, and you very well could be! It could require something as simple as an alembic to extract nicotine from the leaf... or a centrifuge following that procedure... They do it with so-called essential oils.

All told, we'd like to see pics of your process when you achieve success!
:-)
rc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:31 am 

You would need to do a proper solvent extraction and distill it fully until you are left with only a layer of thick oil. I've read a lot about creating extracts of various plants/herbs using alcohol or solvents, but to this day have never yet actually attempted one, so I'm not going to offer directions in case I steer you wrong. It's generally not a very complicated process, but attention to detail will impact the quality of your finished product, of course. I will say that for safety, once you have your concentrated nicotine oil, assume for the first go around that the oil you have made is 100% nicotine by weight (it won't be, but go with it), and calculate your dosing from that assumption. At least that way you'll be erring on the side of caution, and you can start to titrate your ratios up from there based on personal experimentation.

Do some homework on solvent extractions, follow all the warnings and precautions, and good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:35 pm 

Is issue won't be extracting it, it will be determining it's purity and concentration/quantity. You might have a lot of low quality stuff or a little of uber concentrated death nicotine!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:33 am 

Okay i just harvested last of leaves and came here to learn how to extract nicco from stems and flowers, probably spraying it on some of tobacco to make it real strong. Now i suppose it would be bad idea :D It could kill i guess.

Will just throw them away

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:43 am 

Hi
If you can not get enough nicotine from smoking you need to quit. That stuff will kill you. OOOOPPS just looked at your name again call a crisis prevention phone quick. This stuff is a real no no.