How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Drying Mullen
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:10 pm 

Hello all from a long time reader but first time "poster"!! I have a good quantity of Mullen collected and hanging in the garage, I am wanting to try Lonnie's technique. My question is will Mullen that has dried green work? I noticed in Lonnie's thread "3 steps to good chew" that the mullen he used was dried brown. Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Drying Mullen
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:08 pm 

I do not know the answer... but you might try the 'dashboard method' on it...
Good luck
rc

I sure wish Lonnie was still around!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:02 pm 

Quick update, I went ahead and used the mullein I had. It was completely dry and crushed easily, however as I mentioned earlier it has dried green. I didn't get too carried away with trying to do everything exactly as Lonnie had, just kinda got the "essence" of the method down and went with it. It is difficult to describe the results after only 1 day, but the word "heavenly" certainly would not be overstating the splendor that one feels when sampling this delicacy that in a different time would surly have only been reserved for royalty. I dare not dream of the experience that awaits me when this sweet heaven sent manna has time to properly age and mature. Everyone needs to try this method of making chew, if only to experience physical proof of Gods existence! My advice is not to get too hung up on details and not be afraid to use the vanilla extract a little more. Will update you in a few days when I go to dry it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:49 pm 

I have tried brown mullein in smoking, it is nice, no nicotine of course, but it is pleasant.
I plan to harvest several mullein plants and dry them to add to my homegrown tobacco in an effort to cut out some of the nicotine and stuff.
I was blessed with a cutting machine from a member of this forum and have been using a lot more of my stored tobacco.
Talk about mellow, try tobacco that has aged a few years in the boxes!
Mullein is also used to make a cough syrup. You might also try using some of those dried green leaves in that syrup.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:11 pm 

I wouldn't try green mullein for smoking, but for Lonnie's recipe (which I am looking forward to trying in just a few weeks) you're making a mullein tea. Herbs dried for tea or cooking are almost always dried green. Just about anything which you are planning to smoke on the other hand, you will want to cure the green out of it, essentially breaking down the chlorophyll, as chlorophyll burns very harsh. That is the difference as I understand it.

*EDIT: I have a couple pounds of green mullein that I hang dried in my pantry, it is so thick it took a few weeks to fully dry. I am actually interested in how Lonnie's was so fully brown, age? I ask because I too would like to have some with the green cured out of it to blend with cigarette tobacco. The reason is, mullein has medicinal value in treating just about any respiratory ailment: bronchitis, pneumonia, asthma, etc. Seems to me that it would be especially beneficial for the lungs of a smoker, no?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:43 pm 

I am watching some mullein at the moment.
It has tall bloom stakes.
It is slowly beginning to turn brown... I won't pick it until it is at least half brown on its own stalk.
Then I will hang it outside to continue slowly turning.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:59 am 

So you let it brown on the stalk? It doesn't do that up here until long after the first snow usually. I will havecto pull some more leaves in the late fall or early winter and see if there is any loss in potency. I have been drinking mullein tea lately for my sinuses. I am surrounded by wheat fields and the harvest dust this time of year gets pretty bad if you are sensitive to it. My wife is finding it beneficial for her asthma as well, and not having to use her albuterol inhaler is good being that she also has high blood pressure. Mullein is about the only bronchiodialator that isn't also a vasoconstrictor, causing a raise in blood pressure. In fact, it actually has a mild sedative/narcotic effect. It's antispasmodic properties make it beneficial in treating diarrhea and abdominal or menstrual cramps as well. It's really an amazing plant. I am planning to blend a large batch of tea using mullein, horehound and echinacea, and boiling it down as a base for making hard candies this fall as a cold/flu remedy. Once I work out the exact recipe I'll share it if anyone is interested.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:21 pm 

I think that I worked out the reason for the mullein tea in that chewing tobacco recipe as well. Maybe somebody can check my logic on this, but it seems to me that it will aid in nicotine uptake. I noticed in the directions that although you strain the tea from the leaves, there's nothing about actually straining it through a fine cloth or coffee filter (as would be recommended if you're brewing the tea for drinking), which means that all those tiny hairs end up in your finished product. Those little hairs are a rubifacient, meaning that they irritate skin tissue, especially the mucus lining in your cheecks, bringing extra blood flow to the area, which would lend to the absorption ofcnicotine. Seemscto me thatcthis would be a great technique in making snus as well, so that you wouldn't have to add an abrasive. That would hopefully be a lot kinder to your gum-line. I'm only 27 and my gum line has already receded noticeably from using dip so much when I was in the military. I'll havecto experiment with this and see what I find.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:14 pm 

hi
thank you SD_RED for you last 3 post here, I think I learned more about mullen than I had the rest of my life. Please do keep us informed as to you progress with mullen.
Oh as side note I had noticed that most herbs are picked green and most teas are from green herbs I didn't include herbs in an earlier post on greens, Lee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:39 am 

Oh Lee,
You are in trouble! (Not really!)
I realize that our history posts are all gone now. But, I had several posts and threads on Mullein, I even gave away free seeds to anyone who wanted it. :lol: :lol:
I think that I would remove those hairs, as a major asthma sufferer, I don't want anything to irritate my mucus membranes.
Yes, mullein will dry on the stalks here. I thought it was a dry year phenomenon but this year is very, very wet and it is still doing it.
I even leave tobacco in the field awaiting the first frosts to help it to brown... I know other climates this is not practical, but it works great for me... no fighting with green in the leaves once jack frost does his thing, and as long as I get it before the wet season of winter rots it, it loses nothing at all. Of course, any on the ground are ruined almost immediately, so these must be watched at all times to grab them before they are, I often prop up the stalks. I know weird way to do it, and not the recommended one... But makes good smoking tobacco for me, then a couple years aging and it is wonderful!

It is possible that Lonnie was using the mullein as an inert material to add flavor and maybe character to the blend in addition to the nicotine content.

Once you get your lozenges made: test them out and see if the herbs still have the same healing effects once they are heated that hot. In order to make a hard candy you will be getting that syrup really, really hot and likely destroying all the properties and volatile oils in the herbs. I don't know this, just wondering if it will, so many herbs are very, very heat sensitive.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:59 pm 

My Mulleins are turning yellow now just like ripening tobacco does. I will pick them soon. If left on the stalk they will turn brown but the get torn and tattered by the weather, so I pick them when they have turned yellow and hang them just like tobacco.

Mullein is really a useful plant. Everything said above about it is true. I was recently given some cough syrup samples that contain mulleins. It also has antibiotic properties and makes a good dressing for a wound in a pinch or a good poultice. And it makes a nice backwoods "toilet paper" too. lol

Dang, I sure do miss Lonnies posts here. I hope he is doing well.

Sky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:13 pm 

Ozark
I still have the seeds you sent me, but i found a bunch of plants a block from my house. I found this site on mullen.
http://www.smokableherbs.com/mullein/
And this one on how to fix it for smoking.
http://smokeplants.com/SmokeTips.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:13 am 

Hi Mickey,
Long time no see.
How ya doing?
Have you tried the mullein in smoking, medically, or in Lonnie's chew?
I smoked it, I like it in a smoking mix.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:36 pm 

Hi
I posted in another topic that my Dad died of emphysema. So I was watching this for 2 reasons. I've had Bronchitis every year at some time since "72 40+ years.

Last May I noticed that my BP meds were low and I called in a renewal found out no more refills So I called My Dr. with HMO. Found Out that he was leaving the HMO because he wanted more money. I would get a new Dr. with HMO in July. So I called VA. found MY DR. there had just transferred to Tenn. I would get a new Primary care DR, soon. I told them I was about out of meds so they just renewed the old ones . And they would set me up a new appointment with New Dr. soon. I got meds a week later. seems as though I fell in some kind of hole. they set appointment for Sept. 5 still waiting on that one. Hmo gave Me a new dr. in July.

So the whole month of June no Dr. Va Or HMO. I got bronchitis June 4 By June 10 I was coughing so hard that I hurt my chest. was afraid to cough and couldn't stop. Finally had to go to ER room at VA. after all kinds of test for my heart problems (2 stints 1 heart attack ) They said that I had coughed so hard that I had torn some cartilage loose in my chest. They gave me some more albterol inhalation and released me.
Every thing seems normal now but when every I see some thing on Bronchitis or breathing I read closely .

I am studying a lot about mullein. Lee
Ps I don't smoke I quit Feb "88 but My wife does she quit to hers didn't take.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:40 pm 

I am using mullein in my plans for healthier smoking.
Stage 1: grow my own tobacco
Stage 2: Use my homegrown tobacco, much easier since a member of this forum blessed me with a cutting machine. I can eliminate the 500 additives in commercial tobacco. Boy, are they addictive, it is hard to get off of store bought additives!
Stage 3: I go outside to smoke, so that I am not re-ingesting the cigarette smoke (second hand smoke)
Stage 4: I am going to add mullein, raspberry and blackberry leaves to my smoking mix, lowering the nicotine content and getting respiratory benefits from all 3!

I don't know if I will ever manage to quit, but I am smoking a lot less, and less additives, then less nicotine... Maybe only a habit of enjoying smoking to get rid of.

Check out blackberry and raspberry leaves also, these are found in herbal tobacco mixes sold online.

If we put our heads together we can and will find a way to enjoy smoking without having harmful side effects!