How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Producing Swedish snus
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:09 am 

Hi, I'm all new to both this forum and the tobacco growing world.
A quick intro for who I am. I'm from Helsingborg Sweden (it's in the South). Since the weather here isn't ideal I had to start my seedlings inside, in the window sill (I have to appologize if my english is bad, all these terms hasn't really sinked in yet, anyways). My plants are now approx 6 weeks old and seem to do well. Was thinking of planting in a raised bed soil thingie when it's time for them to go outside. The growing and tending seems pretty straight forward as I've studied alot on this fine forum and I have some pre knowledge.
My biggest problem right now is the processing after harvest, since that's all new to me.
I only have 12 plants (10 black mammoth, 2 virginia gold (yeah I know, the virg gold didn't sprout very well)) so it's gonna be a quite modest harvest, but that's the way it is. Of course I wanna try cigarettes, cigars but most of my harvest will go to producing Swedish snus. You all might already know what snus is (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snus) but there's the link.
So does any of You out there have a "how-to" for fermenting and so on?
I'm pretty much following all the way up until after the color curing (drying the leaves). My thoughts right now are to make a kiln (styrofoam box with a light bulb etc...) to get it up to 50-70 degrees (centigrade), well vetilated and leave it there for a couple of days. I've heard 5 days might be enough and people do it in their kitchen stove (NOT an option! in a 30 sq m apartment). Is this step with full leaves or should they be grinded or doesn't it matter?
Well, I'm all over the place right now with questions and everything, let's hope for more structure further on=)
But if You made it this far, all I really wanted to say was "hi!" and do You have a "how-to" for making swedish snus?

Post subject: Re: Producing Swedish snus
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:24 pm 

Welcome aboard, Dave.

Here, in Kalifornia, Black Mammoth grows Huge!
If it does 1/2 as well in Sweden, you will be very happy with the volume of leaf it produces.

Down side is it is generally known as a flue cure tobacco... for best results.
Of course I use it air cured... but that is probably not advised for the best product.

I think I might suggest Yellow Twist Bud for your crop, next year.
It grows some big leaf, and is fast growing once it gets started, and it cures easily.

Best
rc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:25 pm 

daveroxx wrote:
and do You have a "how-to" for making swedish snus?

I've never made it, but here's a nice little video on how to do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQB6R-f77xg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:15 am 

Thanks RC, and Thanks Jim for your replies.
It seems a pretty straight forward process of making snus. I've read a little different things but it seems that the tobacco leaves are just dried and then grinded and baked. No need for fermenting it?
I will keep this thread going and hopefully I'll end up with a mouthful of snus later this year.