How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How do I prevent mold?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:24 am 

When I make chewing tobacco I make 1-2 lbs at a time. I use molasses, a touch of honey and flavoring that I bought which says that it is made for tobacco. I cook it on the stove over medium heat until all of the leaf is covered and soaked completely. Then I dehydrate in the oven at 170 for 20 min then stir. I repeat that until it is the consistency of Levi or RedMan.
So someone tell me where I go wrong?? The reason I ask is I have yet for a batch to not develop mold after 5-6 day if I leave it out. The old timers had to have something they did to preserve their tobacco?? I know they didn't make a new batch of chew every 4-5 days. Can someone, anyone tell me what to do? Please!!

Post subject: Re: How do I prevent mold?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:30 am 

Seal from Oxygen. No Oxygen no Mold. also vinagar kills mold and can be applied in very small diluted ammounts. drys quickly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:19 pm 

The problem is likely too much moisture. If you dry it only to the "feel" of commercial tobacco, then it's still too wet.

Commercial tobacco uses glycerine and/or propylene glycol to maintain that squishy, fresh feel, without encouraging mold. For home, dry down your tobacco until it's almost too dry to use. Then periodically add just enough moisture to prevent it from becoming crumbly.

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:13 am 

Part of the problem you are having is due to adding molasses and honey. These two carbohydrates will feed any bacteria/mold/fungi that are present on the leaf. Although you cook your leaf it will still grow mold because it is picking it up the from the air. Commercial companies add a boatload of anti-mold agent to their chew to prevent mold growth. There are several options for preventing mold growth. Drying it out to almost bone dry works but chew just does not taste good when you have to use a lot of saliva to re hydrate it. What I do is this: I use neotame as my sweetener. It is 8000 times sweeter than sugar, is non- fermentable (mold won't grow) and will not cause tooth decay like sugar/honey/molasses. I add a small amount of glycerin to help with mouthfeel/texture. For flavoring I use pure wintergreen oil. Wintergreen oil will absolutely prevent any mold from growing. I also make chew with cinnamon oil- which prevents mold growth even better than wintergreen.

If you decide to purchase some neotame you should get the pure stuff. If interested let me know and I'll dig up a link to a supplier. You do not want to use the store bought stuff because it is mostly all Maltodextrin.

Keep in mind too that although there are some chew manufacturers that post their ingredients on the web, it is mostly a bogus ingredient list. By law tobacco manufacturers do not have to list chemicals/ingredients they feel are proprietary. If they did, then all the chew companies would readily copy their competitors recipes.