How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Making Hookah Tobacco
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:43 am 

I am going to start a tobacco crop next year, primarily for trying out rolling cigars. I figured that, since I was growing tobacco, I might as well grow a couple extra plants to give homemade hookah tobacco a try. That being said, I have been having a hard time finding a solid recipe for hookah tobacco... What is everyone else doing? What strain of tobacco do you use? How do you process it (cure it completely?) What measurements of molasses/honey (mixture of the two?) do you use? How much glycerin do you add? What flavorings are you using/have you used? I know nothing, so any experience you have and any help you can offer would be awesome.

Post subject: Re: Making Hookah Tobacco
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:57 am 

The tobacco used in hookah (nargile) is Tombac (Tömbeki). World's best Tombacs are grown in Isfahan (Iran) following Iraq, Syria and all Arabia. There is also very small production of Tombac in Greece and Turkey. I'm not sure that you can find any of these seeds but it's worth a try.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:16 pm 

OK, so I have been doing so searching and I found this:

1/4 cup tobacco
1/4 cup ARTIFICIAL flavoring
3 Tbsp of Honey
2 Tbsp of Glycerine

I haven't tried it but it is the first REAL recipe that doesn't just give proportions. I don't have tobacco to try this out, but I may order a pound of it very soon. If anyone else has some tobacco on hand and wants to give it a try, it would be amazing to know your results. I might even try it with some cig tobacco.

Still researching...

Matt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:21 pm 

You can't use normal tobacco in hookah, they'll burn very quckly with a bad taste and you may feel a burn in your throat.
You sould use low combustible tobaccos (thicker, coarser leaved).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:39 pm 

Seems like most guys use pipe tobacco. One guy even goes to cigar shops and gets the leaves that the cigars are packed in for shipping and cuts them up. As for a real recipe, it sounds like most people just play it by ear. One thing that can be done (and I know this is fairly common knowledge) is to wash the tobacco. This takes much of the nicotine out and lightens the flavor quite a bit from what I understand. I guess you just soak it in cool water for a bit until the water turns brown, dump it and repeat until you think its about right. Istanbulin, I dig the constant feedback. I will keep everyone up to date with any findings I have inthe future, I hope everyone else will do the same. I think when I seek out the whole leaf, I will also try to get some Tombac as well, that way I can compare the two. My father and I have some whole leaf coming to try our hands at cigar rolling, so whatever leftovers I can scrounge from that, I will do that and give that a try as well. Does anyone know, for sure, what is used in Nakla?

Matt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:52 pm 

ashbroom, the mixture you have listed simply would NOT burn.
well, on it's own...
You'd need to put a torch to it.
and hold it there!
Maybe that's what you hope to do???
Best
rc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:23 pm 

rustycase wrote:
ashbroom, the mixture you have listed simply would NOT burn.

Isn't that how a Hookah works? You place a wet tobacco mix on top of your water pipe and in contact with a burning piece of charcoal under it. As you draw air through your pipe it will ever so slowly burn the tobacco. That's why it takes forever to smoke.

I've never smoked from a Hookah so maybe Matt can explain the process a little better.

and Matt, I'm not sure how much of a response you are going to get. I'm not sure if there is anyone on this site that smokes a Hookah.

Randy B

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:23 pm 

The way a hookah works is essentially as you said. There is a clay bowl on the top of the waterpipe. you put the very wet, molasses/tobacco mixture (generally flavored like fruits or sometimes its plain, there are several styles and flavors) in the bowl and cover it with foil. Then you poke a bunch of holes in the foil to allow air flow. Coals are placed on the top of the foil which heat up the mixture to about 450 degrees (supposedly) which creates a smoke/steam mixture. The water is thought to filter the smoke, but I don't buy that, at all. Like any tobacco, you get the nicotine through the smoke. However, a lot of the tobacco available is washed and doesn't have much nicotine in it. From that smoke, you get a brief buzz that is fairly unique to me. Sometimes you can feel it in your extremities. Much like a cigar (at least to me) it's relaxing to just sit and smoke something you enjoy the flavor of.

I'm not really sure if I will get any answers from people here, but I WILL figure this out and I will post all my findings on here. If I'm the first on this forum to try and figure this out, maybe I can help someone else down the line. Hopefully, there will be someone that has a little experience with this and wants to work with me and we can bounce ideas around.

I hope my explanation wasn't too long winded...

Matt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:37 pm 

Aha!

Nah, NOT a long winded explanation...

I learned something!
Maybe I go look closer at all those fancy hookah pipes at the neighborhood baccy store...

On the other post, olive pit charcoal was mentioned... They are trying to produce a buncha designer olive oil, locally.
I could probably get pits easily, if I asked about them.

rc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:08 pm 

rusty,

This is the olive seed charcoal.

You can make this charcoals directly with pomace. Press them in a block then burn as the same way to make them coal.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:16 pm 

Now THIS is among the things I find so interesting here at HTGT, Istanbulin.

I was able to google 'pomace', and now have a handle on what that is, but can only imagine that KEPO is something that might be 'available' in Turkey.

You might be surprised at the things we can NOT get, here!

HTGT really IS a great website!
Thanks for your contribution.

Best
rc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:35 pm 

So is there a change tombac could be Iranian Sherazi? I have seen those seeds for sale.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:36 pm 

istanbulin, who lives in Turkey, and is far more knowledgeable about Oriental tobaccos than me, believes that Tombac may indeed be Shirazi.

I have grown Shirazi, and believe that it is not Tombac. Shirazi forms a relatively narrow leaf, with distinctive cupping at the tip. I just can't see a connection between what I have grown and the extremely wide, ovoid leaf of processed Tombac.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:57 pm 

From what I understand, shisha, hooka prepared tobacco, is vaporized by the coal on top of it. It actually doesn't touch the tobacco but sits above it. And from what I have read a fair amount of nicotine gets through that puppy, perhaps more than the standard pipe.