How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Important Info for people seeking to make dip!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:14 am 

So as a first year grower, my tobacco process has been fraught with less than successful results, and my attempt to make dip has been no different. As I strive to learn, I have noticed there is next to nothing on how to make dip products similar to whats purchased in-store. The best reason I can come up with is that commercial dip recipes are a closely guarded secret of the tobacco companies, so there is very little in the way of step by step instructions, unlike cigarettes and chew. However I have picked up some things for wannabe dip producers like myself, so here are some key principles I have learned.

1. Kentucky Burley is a crappy strain for dip. It yellows too unevenly, and is rather sensitve. Next time will be virginia.

2. The tobacco to be turned into dip MUST BE YELLOW at the time of smoke curing

3. Dip is smoke Cured, and so must be smoked at very low heat, like none, or it will quickly turn to crispy flakes of nothing. Moisture is key. This adds a level of complexity that Im trying to overcome.
My next test will be chopping up the leaves, moistening them, wrapping them in cheese cloth, then trying to smoke them.

Hope this helps and I will post more as I learn.

Post subject: Re: Important Info for people seeking to make dip!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:46 am 

Hi Carlton

Some fire cure producers use wet sawdust when smoke finishing their product.
This will add humidity to the process.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:34 pm 

a I forgot to mention the sawdust. Apparently this is a crucial step.

I dont get why so many people say you have to let it color cure, because once the leaves turn brown they lose most of their stickyness. I think the big brands cure them AFTER they smoke it, just letting em sit in casks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:45 am 

Well thanks for bringing up the topic again, C.

I've never seen a step by step procedure posted... anywhere.

There's gotta be someone, somewhere, working in a plant that should have posted the process used.
maybe we should send that wikileaks guy! lol

I had never considered a smoke cure for my dip effort.
...never thought copenhagen had a smoky flavor to it...

Lonnie's chew recipe is probably the best detail on chew that I have seen, and I have gotten some mullein seed from an AL member, to grow some here. He has a small amount of it in the mix.

I can't imagine any probs getting leaf to yellow completely if you use a pile cure method, at least for the beginning of the process.

I will watch your thread to see if new options come up!

Best
rc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:51 am 

I have to disagree with most of what has been said so far. Make dip how YOU like it. If you are trying to mimic a particular brand that's fine but for a lot of beginners telling them they must use yellow tobacco just makes it too confusing and difficult. I use Yellow Twist bud, Yellow Orinoco and Sears Special, all air cured. I'm not trying to mimic a commercial product, I want something better. Don't make it more complicated than it is!

Randy B

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:29 pm 

I have been using the method i read here! I did go to the cope web site and they told me what they use in all their products. They did not give quantities of course.. I have been chewing my own since late August and have no need to buy snuff. If you look in the posts here you will find a universal reciepe. Do what you want with it!! Add this or that make it taste the way ya want. If you need more help call me 7518350611

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:37 pm 

Randy, did you post your recipe?

tnx
rc

:-)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:26 pm 

Im not saying this is how you have to make, Im saying this is how the big boys make it, which is the flavor im going after. I dont want to make chew, as that is a different product entirely. Dipping chew is like dipping candy, its so sweet and just gobbs up in your lip.

Anyone who wondered what the "straight" flavor is, its just dip without any extra flavors, hence the name "straight." its just oak or hickory (which in my opinion tastes terrible.) there are also amounts of salt and trace ammounts of ethyl alchohol, which leads me to believe it could be flavored with some mixture of mouthwash, maybe.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:51 am 

I put Rum or Wiskey in mine. Hence,(ethyl alcohol). AND!,, Ya can have a pull while your working on the dip!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:29 pm 

Will one of you please tell me your recipe. Just so I can have a baseline to start with. Right now all I have is some tobacco that is cut into the size I want. If y'all could help a fella out it would be great. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:52 pm 

Just as a general guidline- something to get you started.

Take a handful of tobbaco (shredded) and put into a small cooking pot
Add 1tablespoon of water
Add sweetener. I use 1 T of Xylitol and an 1/8 tsp of pure sucralose. Since most people do not have that I'd suggest trying 1 T of sugar.
Add a flavor of choice. If I'm making chocolate chew I will add 1 T of cocoa. Other good flavors to add are: 15-20 drops of Wintergreen oil, or apple extract.

Turn your stove on medium heat and stir for about 30 seconds. All you are doing is heating the tobacco up just enough to melt the sugar and for the 1T of water to absorb into the leaf.

Try this to give you a baseline. You can then adjust things up or down. I also add a little bit of glycerine becasue it improves mouthfeel.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:57 pm 

Carlton wrote:
there are also amounts of salt and trace ammounts of ethyl alchohol, which leads me to believe it could be flavored with some mixture of mouthwash, maybe.

Hmmm, ethanol... 'straight'... like a Tennessee straight whiskey? I have no idea, I am just wondering. I could believe the mouthwash, -I've never liked the sickly sweet flavor of Cope Straight. Cope Original Longcut has always been my flavor, and I always wondered if they smoke cured it somehow because it always reminded me of jerky just a little bit. Until I barged into this forum however, I did not actually know whether smoke curing tobacco was something that was done, or even practical, it just made sense to me that you could do it that way I guess. Good info! I'm looking forward to experimenting with some of my first crop, mostly to keep my happy while I wait for the rest to cure and age for rolling smokes.

I do need to learn a lot in the next couple months before it's time to start pulling leaves so that this new hobby doesn't turn into a disaster. I think to bring this back to the OP, what I am really interested in learning is the various techniques that folks use to prepare/process the leaf, not what ingredients they use their super-double-top-secret special recipe. As far as flavor, I'll figure that out my own, thank you very much. ;)

**Edit: Actually, I'm looking at the ingredients listed on their website for myself now, and I am wondering if the ethanol isn't just trace byproducts of some type of fermentation process.

Last edited by SD_RED on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:11 pm 

Thanks, Randy!

No baking soda, or mullein?

...I tried a batch once, a couple years back, and goofed it up when I dumped a tad too much maple syrup in it.
Only a baggy-full of baccy, so it was no great loss. I just set it aside, with intentions to blend it with some more leaf at some time in the future... now it's lost, til I find it again! lol

Time to try again!
rc