How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Growing Smokless Tobacco
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:08 pm 

what exactly goes in to the process of making a smokeless tobacco product, similar to those of skoal and copenhagen?

Post subject: Re: Growing Smokless Tobacco
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:15 am 

Sry I can't be exact, but additives of your choice, grinding, and aging would be a good direction for home-made solutions... :)
rc

Post subject: Re: Growing Smokless Tobacco
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:17 pm 

Good question Bold, for those of us who chew/dip. I’m hoping that one of the keys is the variety of tobacco used. It’s one thing a home grower can control easily, just plant different seed and harvest. My first year (last year) I grew burley and Virginia tobaccos and the taste is really mild, kinda like a ground up cigarette. So this year (thanks to forum members donations) I’m going to grow Dark Greenwood, Madole, Narrow leaf Madole, One Sucker, Yellow Orinoco, Havana 503 and a few others. Some of these are described as fire cured, which may give moist snuff its characteristic flavor and aroma. Don’t know that I’ll be able to do that, looks kinda labor intensive. Might try using a meat smoker and try to imitate fire cured specs to see if the taste is similar to a Copenhagen type product.
Texture is another variable that I’ve played around with, you have to grind it somehow (I use a food processor) and then screen or sieve it. I have several sizes of food strainers to separate fines, regrind coarse and sieve again till most passes the strainer. Too coarse and it’s gritty, too fine and it’s mushy. Hard to get the same uniform texture that they get with their commercial equipment.
For flavorings I use molasses, brown sugar, salt and sal soda. I keep the finished product in the freezer in a sealed bag to avoid mold.
Good luck, Neal