How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Making Dip
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:26 pm 

Ok yall I need a set of instructions.
I need to know how to make dip not chew not snuff not snuss, DIP.... I need instructions from how to cure the harvested leaf to grinding to flavoring..... In the end I hope to make something like original Grizzly or Copenhagen.

Thanks For Helping A n00b :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Making Dip
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:11 pm 

Ok 64 views and not 1 reply :cry:

Come on anything is ok if you know have made dip before or know anthing of any use please post :!:

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:38 am 

I would suspect you are not getting much of a response for a couple of reasons.
One you have posted a huge question. Basically most of your answers can be found in these forums and answering them here woudl require something along the line of re writing everything found here.

Second would be that the answers you seek are complicated and there is actually more than one answer to every detail.

Harvesting for example there are two basic methods. Priming and Stalk harvesting. You will need to research the methods and choose for yourself which is best for the varieties of tobacco you are growing.

Curing you have at least 4 methods to choose from. Air, Sun, Flue and Fire. Again you will need to select which of those will serve your goals depending on what varieties of tobacco you grow. I am growing 22 varieties of tobacco this year and will use Air, Sun and Flue curing methods.

There is then the issue of ageing if you do that for dip at all. There are two widely used methods for this. A kiln or just hanging the leaf and letting it age naturally. In addition to that there are several other processes during aging that some people have messed with. Bailing, piling placing under presses, making bricks etc. There seems to be more way to age tobacco than there are to skin a cat.

For dip I believe there are going to be some additional issues in processing including how to get it shredded. On the issue of shredding there does not seem to be a good standard recommendation. IN short do whatever it takes to get the shred you want. I have heard of everything from coffee grinders to paper shredders being used to shred tobacco. In addition to shredding you are going to want a Recipe for dip itself. The way I understand it dip is pretty much cooked or a sauce is made for it. I have sen mention of such recipes but have not personally paid much attention to them as I am a cigarette smoker myself.

I realize this post is not a lot of help, But I hope it does allow you to realize you have a lot to learn and not any of it has just a simple answer. Hopefully over the next couple of years this group will start to put together something in the way of more definitive answers to such questions. For now it seems that most people are a bit reluctant to make any steadfast claims about anything. Including what types of tobacco to grow for cigars, cigarettes, or even dip. I know I plant to change as much of that as I can. I will tell someone that wants to make cigarettes to start with Virginia Bright Leaf, Yellow Twist Bud, Monte Clam Yellow, and Bursa. Start there and experiment. This is not the ony answer to that question, IT is not even the best answer, It is AN answer. I don't know what to suggest for Dip.

I will also say it is very unlikely you will end up with either a Copenhagen or a Grizzly flavor of Dip no matter what you do. You are more likely to start experimenting and coming up with all sorts of tastes of your own.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:25 pm 

Not to hurt your feelings but I have to agree with Daniel. I started on this forum reading and asking questions. Here is what I do. I start with growing dark tobacco (I use Dark VA and Mammoth dark). I leaf harvest as it gets ripe. Then I hang on wire in my barn and allow to dry compleatly. Then I age in a kiln I made out of an old chest deep freeze. Once aged I use a food processor to chop my leaf (after veining). My recipe is a simple one. I like Cope! Through experimentation I've found this is pretty close.

6 cups Leaf chopped to your liking.
1-3 tbs Sodium Carbinate. (I make mine out of baking soda)
1-2 cups Water
6-9 tbs Karo syrup

Some may not agree with this but the Karo helps the fermentation. Yes the Sod Carb and Karo is varying but it depends a lot on taste.
Mix everything together then place in jars or ziplock bags and allow to sit for 1-2 months.
With this recipe it's the closest I've gotten to cope. Take it or leave it. Either way good luck. If you want a more in depth explanation IM me.
Don

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:02 pm 

MaManus wrote:
Ok 64 views and not 1 reply :cry:

Come on anything is ok if you know have made dip before or know anthing of any use please post :!:

Hi, try my recipe on the Dip Tutorial thread If you are looking for a wintergreen Grizzly type dip, I think you will like it.