How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Questions: Snuff.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:08 pm 

Hello everybody.

I was wondering if a quick question could be answered.. I have loads of dried and briefly cured Virginia/Brightleaf tobacco which I have removed the vein from and crushed into very small pieces. My question is.. do I need to add anything else once I've got it as a very fine powder. I can't see it looking anything like the JH Wilsons Snuff at this rate. Salt, Water?

Thank You.

Lennon890. :)

Post subject: Re: Questions: Snuff.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:03 am 

MJ, I'm almost sure you'd do far better after the product has aged... and probably for quite a while!
Myself, I'd kinda try to perique it a bit.... pack it in and store it for a while...

Recipe is pretty much like cooking... YOU are the chef!

I think the cure and aging will make or break what you have.

...I'm just not sure abt snuff... but Lonnie in Tennessee has posted his recipe for making chew along with a couple other folks.

Good luck
rc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:07 am 

Grind together 1/8 tsp each of table salt and baking soda until the salt is a very fine powder. Mix with 1 cup of powdered tobacco & run this through a fine mesh sieve. You can regrind anything left in the sieve & add it back to the snuff. Put the finished snuff into a bowl and place in a lidded container with an inch of water in the bottom & seal. Take the snuff out once a day, stir it up to distribute the moisture and put it back in the container and reseal. Continue this until the snuff is at the desired moisture level. This same method can be used with liquor instead of water to produce a flavored snuff. A more common way to add scents is to moisten a bit of blotting paper with perfume or flavor extracts and put in on top of the snuff while it's hydrating.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:41 pm 

Tobacco with table salt? :shock: