How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: iq miq (Eskimo chew) and baccy twist
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:58 pm 

well, I know to post in this I either gotta probably say how I made it or how to make. but I gotta say just chewing a tobacco twist is awesome, its like tasty, juicy and chewable, not dippable, but chewable like I can tear some off of it and just chew on it and get juice, I'm not feeling like I'm getting nicotine out of it but hopefully I can. I origanaly got it so I can make some iq miq from one of my friends. but then I soon realized, I ain't got none of the stuff I need to make it... soo.... I got the idea, until I get the ashes and cut it up, I might as well chew it like as is haha.

To inform you on what iq miq is, it's an ooooooold, seriously old, way of making chew in Alaska, it originally started with the yupik/ Eskimo (which I am half of and Aleut... just letting ya know...) and what you do is: 1. get cured tobacco that had been in a twist or cured 2. get this a certain tree fungus, can't remember the name but we call it punk ash, you burn it into fine ash. 3. you cut up the tobacco into the size you want, long cut or short cut or just little squares. Optional: you can soak the tobacco in tea to soften it up and make it moist like to make more chewable. 4. 2 ways you can mix the ash in with the tobacco, 1 put chunks of tobacco in your mouth and put in some ash to mix it in nicely and make it all good and what not, or 2 you can cut up the tobacco, get a ziploc bag, put a little bit of water I'd you didn't soak it in tea, put a little water, plenty of tobacco and some ash and mix it all up. trust me, when you mix it in your mouth you will get such a strong nicotine buzz to the point where you can't walk and you end up laying down because it's all spinning, instead of like store bought chew it's either kinda strong or WEAK!! this can be strong or just enough strength to calm your craving down.

I'm not sure if you can follow the directions.... but right now I got a nice pinch of straight tobacco twist in my mouth :mrgreen: it taste, umm, odd, it's like a smoky taste, and the back of the mouth it taste like raisins and red man, it smells like red man, raisins and other thing, I'm not sure, does tobacco smell like weak raisins? well it taste like red man without the sweetness... kind of has a tingle on where I leave it by my cheek, I acquired the tobacco by helping my friend out with some work haha :mrgreen: and he said if I help him again he'll give me some more if I want haha, Copenhagen long cut is going to miss me, because I don't need it with this :D lol

gotta ask, if anybody even reads this, have you ever just chewed the tobacco right off the twist? oh, an update on me tobacco plants, growing Black Mammoth some kind of disease resistant I got from gubmint, they're on their 5 leaf and hopefully I might be able to put them outside this summer in the sun!! I'm excited, 2nd try that is actually working for my plants, I must say, tobacco isn't addicting, it's just a habit, I mean yeah, I get nicotine fits when I don't got any, and trust me, I'll flip out on you if you make me annoyed haha. to those who do chew tobacco, can you tell me what's best way to cure it? I read many threads on how to cure it, but I want YOUR personal opinion on what the best way is to you, and some good recipe would be nice, I'm getting tired of reading the cherry juice flavored one... well that's it for me :mrgreen:

Alaskan out... haha :P

Post subject: Re: iq miq (Eskimo chew) and baccy twist
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:30 am 

Welcome aboard AK !

Ha! I gotta try that iq miq !
...More fun in baccy land ...

LoL Woulda never thought the Great White North was part of baccyland, but sounds like you are doin a good job at it!

Keep us posted how things go...

...BTW, FM had said YTB was good in the northern lattitudes... have you tried some of that?

Best
rc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:58 pm 

YTB? haha I don't think I have heard of that before, trust me, the iq miq I make is reaaaly strong haha, gave some to my little cousin because he wanted to see if it was good, he felt like he was getting high because he was swaying and things were spinning sound him, LOL! but with iq miq you can make it weak, ok, or strong, or way to damn strong, I usually go with ok and strong for me. as for YTB I haven't heard of it, or even tried it before, sounds interesting though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:52 pm 

hi
I wondered what this was too. I did little search and came up with this . It is a Drs. report trying to get people to stop . So I take it with A grain of salt . And Drs. say no salt for me , so I don't believe every thing I read. But the article as to how it works and how it is made is interesting. I wonder how long it has been made like that ? Before Sir Walter took some home ? Maybe?
http://tundramedicinedreams.blogspot.co ... laska.html
still interesting read.
Oh the Y T B is a type. not a process. lee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:37 pm 

.so is Y T B taste good? The iq miq is good though, my friends make some good but you know it's hard to make it sometimes though haha. I am seriously surprised on how fast they grow when they get a few leaves on them, seems like the leaves that are set in are getting a lot larger since they set in.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:15 pm 

This thread has fascinated me Alaskan.
The name of the Fungus is Phellinus igniarius

There's a real good page here about it and Iqmik.
http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/nov2005.html

Looks like you can do the same thing using lime from crushed seashells or stone (Limestone I assume).

Quote:
it originally started with the yupik/ Eskimo (which I am half of and Aleut.

Any way you can get me a sealskin Anorak?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:23 pm 

peter nap wrote:
This thread has fascinated me Alaskan.
The name of the Fungus is Phellinus igniarius

There's a real good page here about it and Iqmik.
http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/nov2005.html

Looks like you can do the same thing using lime from crushed seashells or stone (Limestone I assume).

Quote:
it originally started with the yupik/ Eskimo (which I am half of and Aleut.

Any way you can get me a sealskin Anorak?

Send you seal skin? Hmm that would be kind of hard to do there buddy, the bulls fur weighs a good 5-10 pounds sometimes, Anorak? Sorry what is that..

Well, I decided I might as well take the twist apart and started chewing on the pieces I broke off to soften and moisten them like I was taught to, my cuzins and my uncle told me, wow, I have never knew I would be getting such a head buzz, the smell is amazing though :mrgreen: it's like my whole room is filled with the amazing scent, and my cologne is making it seem nice too :mrgreen: but lime? I have never seen anybody, or heard of anybody making it that way, unfortunately I can't make it so I still need to have weak store bought chew :cry: since I have lot of seed of many kinds, lot of rusticas I read they were really strong :mrgreen:, oh, reason I can't make it's I don't have uguk (punk ash) but I have juyuk which is the second thing you need to add to it but I forgot why... oddly the smell it reminds me of burning wood..... not so sure what tobacco actually smells like but every time I buy Red Man it smells like raisins.... but I like the smell of my tobacco :mrgreen:

I am surprised you guys have read my thread and even commented, I am sorry that I don't know what most you are talk about.... I just know I like tobacco.... don't know anything about specific stuff

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:16 am 

I not sure if anybody is actually reading much of this but making some tonight, I got some ashes and more leaves :mrgreen: let me say, just chewing the leaves to moisten them before I do anything is like making me feel "buzzed" already so mixing the ashes into my mouth with the leaves is gonna make me feel more worse then this :lol: but it will be time well spent! To those who would like details on it, first time I have ever tried iq miq, it was reaaaaaally strong, it got me to the point I felt like everything was spinning, my heart was racing, then I puked.... I couldn't even walk straight so it's almost as if you're drunk or high, but still it's nice to chew something that is good and not the store bought, to me it's like it's not as bad as store bout, not much chemicals and other stuff they add into it and who knows what is actually in it.... worst part of making it in your mouth... it will give the nicotine a whole lot more strength, and I don't like how it makes me feel when I make it, my friends just say to mix it in a bag instead of my mirth, but doing it with your mouth will make it softer and more moist and you get the satisfaction of knowing that you can pull it off and enjoy your fruits of labor..