How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bunch of questions:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:49 am 

hello all. I have yet to grow any baccy yet but intend on starting very soon. I have a few questions about chewing tobacco if y'all could help that would be great:

1) chemically, what is different between chew and dip (store-bought)?
2) why does straight tobacco leaves taste great, but i cant stand cope? It seems all juices from any flavor of skoal has a hint of this, whereas chew does not? That make sense?
3) idk about most chew but why does redman silver (sugar-free premium) not say anything about cancer? Aren't they legally supposed to?
4) am I too late if I start germinating seeds in beginning of may (central Pa)
5) whats the Difference in curing tobacco for chewing compared to cigs?
6) how do snus manufacturers pasteurized tobacco?

Sorry for all the ?'s. Thank you in advance!!

Post subject: Re: Bunch of questions:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:30 am 

The only one I could answer is #4. Start your seeds now so they can be put in the ground in May!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:42 pm 

1, 2, and 3: Virtually all commercial tobacco products are "enhanced" with proprietary mixtures of flavors, anti-microbials, humectants (so it doesn't dry out on the store shelf), bulking agents (so it requires less tobacco per pound of product), and heaven knows what else.

4: Order seed today. Start the seed ASAP. Hope for a cooperative September. Global warming is your friend.

5: Cigarettes and chew are usually made with different blends of tobacco. You can cure either of them for chew as pure tobacco or with your own flavoring. Read through the forum for suggestions on curing methods.

6: Don't know for sure about snus. Pasteurization for liquids requires either 145ºF x 30 minutes; 161ºF x 15 seconds. "Ultra-pasteurization" (not really pasteurization) requires 191ºF x 1 second. [Ultra-pasteurization of dairy products significantly damages the proteins. With tobacco, it would likely destroy the enzymes that allow it to age. Just a guess.) All methods of pasteurization drastically reduce the microbial burden, but none of the methods kills everything (sterilizes).

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:46 pm 

Very good. thank you! Hmm, looks like i'll have to order some seeds and get started. From what ive read, each plant yields close to 3 oz of tobacco, which is like a pouch of chew, right? Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:00 pm 

Depends on the strain, a safe assumption would be anywhere between 2 and 8 ounces/plant.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:45 pm 

well looks like ill be placing an order for some burley and virginia gold. i'll have to germinate these suckers in my dorm here in philly before i have summer break. im sure im quite the minority here. ha.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:25 am 

While I'm on the topic, does anyone else find commercial dip horrible tasting or am I the only one? Also, if I got loose leaf chew and cut up into finer pieces, would nicotine be noticeably different due to more surface area for absorption?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:47 am 

Trav wrote:
well looks like ill be placing an order for some burley and virginia gold. i'll have to germinate these suckers in my dorm here in philly before i have summer break. im sure im quite the minority here. ha.

Trav, you might want to consider buying some plants instead of starting from seeds so late in the season.

Randy B

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:09 am 

^^ yea i thought id give em a go anyway. maybe ill learn something from it so i can do better next year. i started my seeds about 2 weeks ago now and they're doing pretty good.. nothin big. hopefully i can reap something for my efforts. its quite the amazing plant.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:49 am 

If you started your seeds 2 weeks ago you should be ok. Your harvest will be a little later than normal for the area but still in plenty of time before a frost.
Randy B

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:28 pm 

Trav wrote:
While I'm on the topic, does anyone else find commercial dip horrible tasting or am I the only one? Also, if I got loose leaf chew and cut up into finer pieces, would nicotine be noticeably different due to more surface area for absorption?

It is not just you, it is you and me. Skoal and Copenhagen cans are just vile to my taste buds. Redman or Beechnut long strands (in a closable pouch) are pretty yummy!