How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Making Rope tobacco (pipe medallions)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:47 am 

I enjoyed the video. I would love to have the roller just for a great way to store tobacco.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:37 am 

I managed to catch a couple of things he says so far. I will keep trying

At or just before 0:51 on the video he is saying they are in case in water and sugar only.

THe tobacco they are using is "Virginiaized" ? Hope somebody has more info on what that is. He may simply be saying Virginia and Dark Fired Kentucky.

After he mentions cutting the sausages to coins when it is at about 20% humidity they are drying it to about 12%. He mentions that the mix is 2 parts Virginia to 1 part Dark Fired Kentucky made as Cavandash.

Other than that it looks like roll dry, cut dry and smoke.

I didn't hear anything specific on the casing recipe other than sugar and water.

The tobacco they have was harvested by priming. and comes from Southern Canada. Not that location is relevant to the interest of this group.

At 2:23 they begin to make comments of exactly what variety of tobacco is used in the dark stuff. I am not familiar with the names and am not at all sure I am getting them right. But the camera man is saying (I think)
"So this is the regular sipering you use and not the Syrian you use in the H.H."? The reply is "No (interupted by cameramna saying Cypress) "this is the same as we have used for this one tobacco". Cameraman "Okay" TI is all pretty convoluted and does not make a lot of sence to me. Hopefully someone else can make more of it.

At 2:34 he begins to describe what goes into the roll.
his first comments is saying "We have the inlay, which was the leaf that was(cannot make out the final word)" then goes on to comment on the Dark Fired Kentucky Cavendash. "also used as inlay" "Then you have the whole leaf" That is about as much as I can make out of what he is saying about the tobaccos going into the twist.

Listening again to the comments he makes while showing how to use the tobacco in a pipe. I think he simply says "Virginia Tobaccos, which is what we are using here" Not Virginiaised as I thought before.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:08 am 

Interesting video, FM !

Tnx
rc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:25 am 

I love that roller. It's just like a giant cigarette roller.

Apparently the roll contains either all whole-leaf Virginia or whole-leaf Virginia with a whole-leaf dark-fired Kentucky Cavendish center. The discussion about Cyprus I believe was just an aside when they happened to walk past the bin of pitch black Cyprian Latakia (if you need a divorce). (Their HH blend uses Syrian Latakia.) I don't think the Latakia is used in the roll.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:17 pm 

I think you may be right Bob. I am not yet familiar enough with the names at processes of tobacco to keep up with it. It has only been a few weeks since I know that Cavendash was a process not a variety. and I smoke that stuff.

I agree the blend looks like only Virginia whole leaf that was harvested by priming. Hmmm we got anyone round here that might go to that sort of trouble to harvest their tobacco. they seem think it is harder to find. And then a Fire Cured Kentucky in the middle mixed two parts Virginia to 1 part Kentucky. at least the Virginia is b left in case with sugar water soup.

Tobacco being tightly packed being cooler burning. That is not the first time I have heard about that. Also the info on how the sugars react being the thing that makes the difference.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:10 pm 

Fm, My comment was meant to be a joke. from a newcomers viewpoint priming is about the only method I hear of for harvesting. It stands to reason that if a person is going to spend a season tending to a few hundred plants at most. it is by far worth the time to harvest it at it's best.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:44 pm 

Just happen to have a can of MacBaren Dark Twist right here (empty sad to say)... says the production process is more than 200 years old...that it is "the original Mac Baren cavendish spun into whole Virginia leaves"... Doesn't say what the cavendish is made from, but the guy in the video clearly said it was Fired Ky..(that's a burley right??). The stuff taste wonderful, but cost a lot... I can see from the video why.
Wondering if that rolling process could be done by hand with a peice of leather (or seat cover vinyl with some rods sewn in the ends?) I have whole leaf Va, sugar, burley and a smoker....