How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Twists Questions and answers(?)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:02 pm 

Don, I bought one like that and found out later they were designed originally has a sausage grinder.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:36 pm 

Don
That is a tobacco cutter it will crunch dry tobacco into little pieces .

You talk about light burley I wonder if they mean the bottom lighter colored leaves from the bottom of the stalk .
These leaves is what I heard the old timmers used for their chew theses were the raggedy leaves . I also knew a older man who saved the lighter Lugs from the middle to lower part of the stalk for chewing .

I hear the bottom leaves are good for snuff . I don't know all of this as 100% .

I have plenty of burley to test with, Does anyone have the reciepe for the ingredients to go with the twist ?

And is the Burley Fermented or plain ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:45 pm 
Site Admin

The below link contains some info on making twists I experimented with alittle. I tried the North American Indian method described therein. The twist is made with fresh leaf that cures after it is twisted. The Virginia I used worked well. I suppose Burley could be used but would take a long time to cure outside of a kiln.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=163

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:57 am 

taxedenough wrote:
Don, I bought one like that and found out later they were designed originally has a sausage grinder.

I think that's pretty much it. Going by the cast markings, "PS & W Co" and "112", I found the following on Worthpoint.com:
"Antique
Peck Stow & Wilcox Company
No. 112 Sausage Stuffer
This auction features an antique Peck, Stow & Wilcox Co. No. 112 sausage stuffer. This cast iron, tabletop piece is in excellent, clean and working condition. Please scroll down for more pictures! P. S. & W. Co. was a giant in the tool and hardware business during the late 1800s, and produced a number of products for which t is little information . . . including this particular piece! The barrel of this sausage stuffer measures 6 inches long and 5 inches wide. The rollers inside, which are in perfect condition, can be removed for easy cleaning. The turning arm, which has a wooden handle, measures about 7 1/2 inches long. The piece stands 3 1/2 inches tall, and is meant to be mounted on a counter or table top. The diameter of the entry hole on top measures 2 1/2 inches diameter. The exit hole is about 1 inch in diameter. This piece, as mentioned above, is entirely cast iron with the exception of the wooden handle, which by the way is free of chips or cracks. This is a most excellent (and quite heavy) piece."

Of course, in a separate listing there was:
"THIS IS A ANTIQUE CAST IRON TOBACCO GRINDER. IT HAS ON TOP OF GRINDER " PS & W CO NO 112 " I HAVE HAD IT FOR OVER 30 YEARS IT WAS GIVEN TO ME BY MY AUNT BETTY SHE HAD A FARM IN CHESTERFIELD VA. IT WAS HER FATHERS YEARS AGO. IT IS 4 1/2" TALL AND IS ABOUT 9" LONG INCLUDING SWINGING ARM. IT HAS A NICE WOODEN HANDLE ON IT TO CRANK WITH. THE GRINDER OPENS AND SHUTS WITH THE CAST IRON FLIP SWITCH IN FRONT. IT HAS 4 LEGS YOU CAN HOOK IT DOWN TO ANY TABLETOP OR FLAT SURACE. THE INSIDES AND OUTSIDES ARE NICE AND CLEAN AND IT CRANKS AND TURNS VERY NICELY LIKE NEW. IT HAS WEAR CONSISTENT WITH AGE AND USE, .............. ... WHAT A WONDERFUL GIFT OR ADDITION FOR YOUR COLLECTION, SUPER IMPRESSIVE -- TREAT YOURSELF -- SOLD AS IS"

Could Aunt Betty have been mistaken?

To my jaded eyes, the mechanism does not seem to be for grinding, cutting or twisting, but rather for compressing and extruding. And that nice wide collar at the exit looks just right for 20 feet of gathered intestine to slip over it.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:10 am 

I had to go back an re-look that Grinder . I was mistaken about it . I think that is for making sasuage in links . Where you take the intestines , wash and clean them then fill with already ground sasuage .

There is a tobacco grinder that is made and looks simular to this . I have seen them several times . The inside will be way different .