How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New chew / pipe tobacco recipie .
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:51 pm 

At our regular Sunday dinner at moms today my neice had a book of the pioneers . Told all sorts of interesting things and one she brought to my attention was an old way of curing chewing / pipe tobacco .

This book said to cut hickory trees about 6 inch across . Said to cut these in blocks about 8 inches long . Drill a hole in the center thats 2 inch across . It said they made chewing / pipe tobacco in the summer and would cut the tree fresh while it was full of sap .

I recon they took peaches and brown sugar and would pound this into a thick paste said just a little peach brandy was good too . Destem your leafs and get them loayered up good in this peach , brown sugar and brandy mixture and to poke them into this hole in the hickory log . Press it in good ( tamp it ) cut a plug and seal the end after each log is full .

Then they built a good hot fire using dry wood . When they was a good bed of coals they would throw in the logs full of tobacco . These were burned untill the bark was burned off of the logs and removed . I recone they had a hole ready and burried the hot logs just as soon as you took them from the fire . Cover the logs with a layer of dirt and drag the hot ashes over the burried logs

I recon this makes them stay warm for a couple days doing it that way . After they cool down slowly like this they dig them up and clean them off . Said you could leave them right there in the yard if you wanted but was best to stack the logs in the dry for aging/ drying . Said the sugar , peach and brandy would caramelize if done right

I recon they would leave them in this log untill the log was dry . They also said the juices from the fresh cut tree would impart it's own flavor that was also sweet in the baccy Then split it open with an axe and it's ready . Said it would make an extreamly hard plug of tobacco that you could take your knife and cut off a chew . Or you could whittle off pieces to fill your pipe with .

I found that section very interesting and read it a couple times it was only 3 pages on that . I plan to try some this very way just as soon as I get my burley through the hang drying process . That will be next summer letting it freeze and then go through a summer case too .

Anyhow that was the recipie and what it said to do but I've never tried it .

Post subject: Re: New chew / pipe tobacco recipie .
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:24 pm 

field cured leaf or green ripe leaf ?
rc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:35 pm 

Rusty

The book didn't say but I'm sure they were talking about leafs that were dry . I plant to hang my tobacco several times letting it come in and out of case even freezing . Then doing this more in the summer ( next May / June )

Then after my leafs go through whats called the June sweats I'll try this recipie . They said they did it in early summer when the sap was flowing good in the trees . The sap will be going down anytime now and wont flow untill next spring .

I recon you want to use trees cut that day and full of juice . This juice is suppost to impart it's own special flavor into the baccy thats also sweet .

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:40 pm 

Definitely interesting, and with all kinds of possibilities. Would just about bet that pecan or mesquite would give pretty good results. What was the title of that book?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:01 pm 

snuffgrinder

Appalachian life or something like that . But it was a book about one old man . He was about 90 years old when the author interviewed him .

All it was really was the author asking this old man a question and then a few paragraphs of the old mans answers . She will be done next week and I'm suppost to get it then and will post the title . I know it was Appalachian life of this guy but cant remember his name .

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:27 pm 

LOL I have to add how he took care of flys lol . Said they wittled out a wooden bowl . Made a lid with a spout like thing with a tiny hole drilled into the bowl .

They put sugar or something sweet in the bowl . Then they put meal or something simple on the lid . Said the fly would land on the meal and smell thev sugar . Said it could get in to the sugar but couldn't get out said they had no flys lol

Told of a few other bug getters around the place and they had no flys . I'll update on organic bug control when I get it for awhile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:52 pm 

I hope this book is still in print. Definitely a must read.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:47 pm 

snuffgrinder

Yea I'm kinda interested in getting my hands on it also . I think it's in print but not sure . My neice was telling about most of this stuff while I was loading tobacco .

One thing that stuck in my mind was her saying the old man said they was a season for everything . Said everything you needed to live was in these mountains but you had to know where and when to go get it lol .

I recon he never went to a store . Said they wasn't no store to go to and that people made , grew or raised what they needed . I'm sure he was talking about in the old days lol they have a few pics showing things like him making wooden baskets thats cool .

I like setting down with old people that can talk good and tell stories so it's a good read for me for that alone .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:48 pm 

Stopped at the super market and bought 5 peaches and a pound of light brown sugar . Stopped at the wine store and bought a pint of peach brandy . Gonna try this peach sugar and brandy recipie just a little different on a batch of scrap tobacco .

Not sure just how I'll dry it up but probably dry it most the way in an oven and finish on the truck dash . Gonna try my luck with making twist with most of it but some pouch or plug with some parts and pieces . Can't wait to try this recipie with the logs but will wait untill next spring for that .

Letting my peaches get juicy ripe right now . After setting all day they much better but I think it will still require another day . It shouldn't be long now though tomorrow evening or Monday one 8)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:40 pm 

Lonnie:
What are your thoughts on a tobacco blend for chew? Maybe burley + havana + small amount of ottoman? I tried mostly turkish and it sucks, too aromatic and low nicotine. Will appreciate your thoughts.
I have burley and silk leaf aging, so may use that mix for my next attemp at a good chew mix for dip. Should have more nic and better taste when flavored with molasses, cane sugar, salt, brown sugar and a touch of vanilla.
Regards, Neal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:05 pm 

Neal, The best tobaccos for chew are the ones that have a pH greater than 6. The reason being is that as the pH goes above 6 it converts more and more to free nicotine.. Free nicotine is easily absorbed thru the lining of the mouth. That's why cigarettes are inhaled, they have a pH below 6 and need to be inhaled in order for the lungs to absorb the nicotine. So far, thru testing, I have found that Yellow Orinoco and Perique ( grown and cured as a burley) have a high pH. The other reason tobaccos are often designated as "chew" is because they have the ability to absorb and hold a lot of moisture. Virginia Gold, for instance is a poor choice because it doesn't absorb moisture well.. and it has a low pH. So far, my choice for chew is Yellow Orinoco!

And on another note: That's the reason that sugars are added to cigarettes. As the sugar burns it lowers the pH of the tobacco.. giving it a smooth taste!..

Randy B

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:31 am 

Randy

Thats odd my Va Gold from last year made the best tasting chew I ever tasted for home made . It just never had any nicotine it it last year so had no kick . I tried a batch with this peach brandy has to much of a burley bite to taste very good I dont like it .

On a better note I think it will make a dayum good pipe baccy . Smokes very cool doesn't get hot . I dont have a pipe but what I hand rolled and smoked was very smooth and cool burning and not bad tasting . Very mild tasting but smooth with pleasant after tones aroma . Hard for me to explain but wasn't bad .

I messed this batch up big time for chew . I used scraps that been falling off sticks of plants as I hung them in this mill house . Then picked about 50% havana and mixed in . So it was probably Burley , Havana , Ottoman and Samson .

But last years having no nic and wanting to try and get some ( free ) nicotine you mention I made a tea with some rough looking burley leaf . Figuring this would be the free ( un-ionized ) I think lol . Anyhow then I strained this and added the brown sugar , peaches , a dash of salt , 1/2 stick real butter , 1 tea spoon vinilla , i tea spoon lemon juice and simmered on low untill all peaches were disolved . When this mixture cooled I poured in a pint of peach brandy . Even with the brandy this mix kinda jelled I really like the mix it made .

Like I said the sause itself is great !! But was dissapointed with the chew . Had a green taste to it and a burley bite . Gonna try it again with the virginia some of it seems to have much more nic this year . I will let it sweat first .

Neal

Well I really dont know but all I can say is from about 3 batches of chew I like Va Gold best so far . On a note about what Randy says about Va Gold . They say no baccy is fit for smokin or chewin untill it go's through what old timers called the " June sweats " I know this I just made sure isn't worth chewin .

However I piled sweated about 12 maybe 15 pounds of Va Gold for a good while last year and it made darn good tastin chew . Didn't have no kick but had a great pouch baccy taste . This was baccy that dried with quite a bit of green to it and I couldn't bear throwing it away . Turned the best black like store baccy it absorbed good . I think the sweating is the reason it absorbs . Made a few twist without sweating and it wouldn't absorb at all . Was the same color after 3 days on top my heat stove last fall .

Good note lol is I ended up with 2 quarts of the mix and only used about half of one quart . I have 75% of it left and will be tryin more as I really like the mix . Will deffently sweat it next time mocking the june sweats trying to remove the green taste . Then will try and get my free nic someplace but from burley lol . That should help it quite a lot but with the treen notes and the bite I spit my chew out in a couple minutes :lol: .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:15 am 

Lonnie_in_Tenn wrote:
Randy

Thats odd my Va Gold from last year made the best tasting chew I ever tasted for home made . It just never had any nicotine it it last year so had no kick . .

Lonnie.. I never said anything about the taste 8) I think finding the best leaf for chew will be a combination of how much nicotine you want and how it actually tastes!
Randy B

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:02 am 

Randy

Your right ya never lol my bad . I jumped from absorbing to flavor or taste I guess lol . Well if it doesnt absorb the flavor it might effect taste :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:50 am 

Just wondering if anyone here ever give this log baccy process a try?