How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New dip recipie
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:31 am 

Some of you may know that an old man stopped by moms this summer looking at my tobacco . He wanted some for making chew and I promised him some . He was very happy to share his recipie with me .

Well I tried the recipie and it's a big hit around here everyone likes it and about the first thing they say is Red man. I haven't seen the old man since and was wondering what happened to him . This last week while I was away he stopped at moms again asking about me and the tobacco .

Not knowing what to say mom took his name and address down . She told him everyone likes the chew recipie and was talking and he mentioned a recipie for making dip . Mom took it down but not very good and I need to hunt him up and get somethings verified .

I recon the dip uses salt not all the sugar . Still calls for most everything else with the exception of a few new things . He says to make X amount of dip you put 1/2 X in a pot and simmer it with soda . Thats something I need to verify if he means bi soda , baking soda or what I need that verified . Those two may be the same but I know they is different kinds of soda and need to verify things .

Anyhow you simmer 1/2 the amount ( usually a stout in nic tobacco ) along with soda in a pot for an hour . Strain off and throw everything away but the juice . This is then added at the proper time to the X amount of tobacco to make the final dip product .

As weird as this recipie sounds I'll certainly get somethings verified and try a batch as the chew recipie he gave me works quite well at least to people around here . Once I make a batch I'll let ya know what I really think .

Post subject: Re: New dip recipie
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:15 pm 

Lonnie_in_Tenn wrote:
...Well I tried the recipie and it's a big hit around here everyone likes it and about the first thing they say is Red man.

I recon the dip uses salt not all the sugar . Still calls for most everything else with the exception of a few new things . He says to make X amount of dip you put 1/2 X in a pot and simmer it with soda . Thats something I need to verify if he means bi soda , baking soda or what I need that verified . Those two may be the same but I know they is different kinds of soda and need to verify things .

Anyhow you simmer 1/2 the amount ( usually a stout in nic tobacco ) along with soda in a pot for an hour . Strain off and throw everything away but the juice . This is then added at the proper time to the X amount of tobacco to make the final dip product ...

What is the recipe?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:52 pm 

Stout tobacco? I grew a bunch of rusticas last season, give me the recipe to experiment with and I'll post whatever I come up with!

Heck, almost all my friends chew, smoking will kill you, you know. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:22 am 

oldthompson wrote:
Stout tobacco? I grew a bunch of rusticas last season, give me the recipe to experiment with and I'll post whatever I come up with!...

Would it even be safe to chew rustica?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:52 am 

Hey guys

The only problem with this guys recipies is he doesn't give amounts . Just says stuff like

Start with enough baccy to fill a pan , or add a pinch of sal soda , yea I finally asked mom and figured it out it's sal soda I had to look that up and it 's also called sodium carbinate or something .

Got to reading on that stuff and it sounds like lie or something you can get it from wood ashes lol Kinda afraid to attempt it . From reading other stuff I think that must do something to the PH of the tobacco .

I tried a small batch without using the sal soda but used way to much salt . It was salty as he// and I wasn't going to add more tobacco and stuff trying to adjust it .

I really was hoping Alex would comment as to what he thought about adding sal soda would be for and could this be dangerious . I certainlty wouldn't want to take wood ash and mix it with water and then drink it . To be honest I wouldn't even put it in my mouth .

It's also used in cooking certain things though so maybe it's not near as bad as it sounds if you read up on it lol . But heres what I have if you try experimenting it 's on you lol If it blisters your mouth not my fault .

He says to take enough tobacco to fill a pan and add water and a pinch of sal soda . Says to simmer this for 1 to 1.5 hours stiring enough not to burn the stuff .

After this you strain off the solids throwing them away and keeping the water solution . Now he says to take about twice the tobacco you used the first time and grind it to a powder .

Put the powder tobacco in another pan big enough to hold the tobacco plus the juice you kept from the first tobacco washing . All this I can perty well understand or at least I think I do .

From here he says to add a pint of the mullin extract ( same stuff used in the chew recipie ) but rather than sugar he says to salt to suit you . Add one teas spoon vinilla flavoring , one tea spoon lemen juice .

From here your suppost to evaporate the liquid slowly being carefull not to burn the stuff . I'm thinking very slow heat like a crock pot or like I did the chew on the top of a wood stove .

I tried a small batch without the sal soda and I think it might have been ok but I used way to much salt . I dumped in lots of it like adding the sugar to the chew recipie . Big mastake I think to take the mullin tea and slowly add salt to it and tasting it untill it had a nice salty taste would have been better .

Anyhow I plan to make another batch or try to and attempt getting some amounts used . Just haven't had time and have no sal soda stuff . Might look on ebay and find some .

I do wish Alex would comment on this sal soda stuff and see what he think it's suppost to do . Plus the biggy is would a pinch of it be dangerious as he seems to know so much about this kind of stuff . Reading on the stuff and it just sounded like it might be better skipping that part lol Maybe what effect the ph would have to do with dip would be good to know .

Lonnie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:07 am 

Oh yea I foegot to mention that after you get it evaporated to a dry but still moist powder your suppost to place it in the fridge and put it through cold storage .

Says it can be used as soon as it's dry enough but will improve after a few days cold storage .

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:40 am 

The lack of measures was the reason I asked what the recipe is. There are some of us that only raised 30 to 40 plants and cannot afford too much trial nd error. I will try good chew recipe.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:54 pm 

I am not Alex, but a google search got this for us:

Washing soda is an old and valuable solution to many household cleaning tasks. It has been used for many generations, from Napoleonic times even!
It is simple to use and as safe as a chemical can be.
It can be used to clean floors, walls, sinks, drains – in fact almost any surface where you would use a multi-purpose cleaner.
Also known as sal soda, soda, soda ash and sodium carbonate, it was first created in the laboratory by Nicholas Leblanc a prominent French chemist in the late 18th century. It is made from common salt and limestone.
It does occur naturally. The Egyptians used a naturally occurring compound rich in washing soda to mummify the dead.
There are also large natural deposits of it in Wyoming, near the Green River.
Washing soda is quite strongly alkaline so you should not let it be in contact with your skin. Use rubber gloves when dealing with it. It is classed as an irritant and is particularly irritating to the eyes.
You should also avoid breathing the dust. As it is usually supplied as a crystal, this isn’t hard to do. Once it is dissolved in water it doesn't give off toxic fumes.
As with any cleaning product, keep it away from where small children might find it.
It is very safe for the environment, breaking down easily and causing no problems.
Used with care, soda is a very safe product.

http://www.greenfootsteps.com/washing-soda.html

I would not use it on anything that I intended to consume..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:37 pm 

Ozark

This was why I had concern using it

" Washing soda is quite strongly alkaline so you should not let it be in contact with your skin. Use rubber gloves when dealing with it. It is classed as an irritant and is particularly irritating to the eyes. "

However if you google up information about snus they sure enough mention the stuff to raise the PH and give it the flavor dip is known for .

I'm making some soda now from wood ash . Found a simple method of making the stuff .

Still reading on how caustic it is i'm not to certain I'd try using it lol . Thought I'd try another batch adding only enough salt to make the mullin extract good and salty . Then when thats added to the rest I'm hoping it wouldn't be to salty .

Student exercise for purifying sal soda

Whatever we extract from wood ashes must be there to begin with. Wood ashes are a complex heterogeneous mixture of all the non-flammable, non-volatile minerals which remain after the wood and charcoal have burned away. Because of the presence of carbon dioxide in the fire gases, many of these minerals will have been converted to carbonates. Burned soil may also be present. So the ashes probably contain predominately sodium and potassium carbonate, sodium and potassium chloride, silica, and calcium carbonate.

If we add the ashes to water, the soluble potassium and sodium salts will dissolve while the insoluble silica and calcium carbonate will settle to the bottom. We can then drain off the water (containing the "good stuff") and throw the insoluble material away. To separate the chlorides from the soluble carbonates, we will exploit the greater solubility of the carbonates in hot water. We will bring the liquid to a boil and continue boiling until enough water boils away for an insoluble precipitate to form. This is very likely a mixture of sodium and potassium chloride. From this point, we will continue boiling until half of the remaining water is removed. At this point we can be reasonably certain that only the soluble carbonates remain in solution. We will carefully pour off the hot liquid into another container, leaving the solid material behind. As the liquid cools to room temperature, the less soluble sodium carbonate will precipitate leaving the more soluble potassium carbonate in solution. Finally, the remaining solution can be drained off and boiled to dryness, producing solid potassium carbonate.

lol I can do that and am playing mad scientist right now lol . Still I'm not so certain I'd use the stuff .

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:50 pm 

A bit more searching, and I am thinking...all convenience foods need to be homemade! ha
Most of this came from Wikkipedia...
Sodium carbonate is also used as a relatively strong base in various settings. For example, sodium carbonate is used as a pH regulator to maintain stable alkaline conditions necessary for the action of the majority of developing agents.[citation needed] It is a common additive in municipal pools used to neutralize the acidic effects of chlorine and raise pH.[1] In cooking, it is sometimes used in place of sodium hydroxide for lying, especially with German pretzels and lye rolls. These dishes are treated with a solution of an alkaline substance in order to change the pH of the surface of the food and thus improve browning.

Sodium carbonate is a food additive (E500) used as an acidity regulator, anti-caking agent, raising agent and stabilizer. It is one of the components of kansui, a solution of alkaline salts used to give ramen noodles their characteristic flavor and texture.[4][5] Sodium carbonate is also used in the production of sherbet powder. The cooling and fizzing sensation results from the endothermic reaction between sodium carbonate and a weak acid, commonly citric acid, releasing carbon dioxide gas, which occurs when the sherbet is moistened by saliva.

As a food additive (E500), it is used in the production of snus (Swedish style snuff) to stabilize the pH of the final product. [6] In Sweden, snus is regulated as a food product because it is put into the mouth, requiring pasturization and only ingredents that are approved as food additives.
Sodium carbonate is used in toothpastes, where it acts as a foaming agent, an abrasive, and to temporarily increase mouth pH

I wonder if this is the same as pickling lime?
Might be, related. Since the washing soda is lime and salt.
Notice in this it says to wash the cucumbers off repeatedly...

For use in pickling recipes. Pickling Lime helps to improve the firmness of pickles by introducing calcium that reinforces the pectin in the vegetable being pickled. In using it, a vegetable such as cucumber is soaked first in water mixed with the pickling Lime, for up to a day, then rinsed thoroughly -- at least 3 times -- before the actual pickling process begins. Be sure to use pickling lime as a soak solution only and to rinse product in several changes of water before proceeding with the recipe. Do not use lime purchased from lumber supply stores as it may contain lead. Pickling lime is found in most grocery stores with the pickling supplies. Because the Lime is alkaline, you have to get rid of it all, or it would neutralize the acidity that you are going to use to preserve the pickles with. People haven't always rinsed it thoroughly, though, leaving some alkalinity and lowering the pH of the pickling batch by neutralizing the acidity. On account of this, cases of botulism have been recorded, and for that reason it's not generally recommended to use this anymore. Some home canners recommend using grape leaves as an alternative to help with crunchiness.

Wonder how many other products we consume in one way or another, that we would think, oh no way would I use that product?
Good find Lonnie. I still find it unbelievable that we eat washing soda! But, you are right, my friend.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:07 pm 

[quote="Ozark lady
I would not use it on anything that I intended to consume..[/quote]
Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:15 pm 

Shihan

You have an excellent chew recipie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:32 pm 

Lonnie_in_Tenn wrote:
Shihan

You have an excellent chew recipie[?]

I wish I did. I am in the process of getting one from a friend in a tobacco association. I can't say if it will be better but at least I will be able to follow the instructions. Right now I am in the process of pressing a one pound brick of tobacco. So far it is 3 1/2 inch by 6inches by 1 1/4 (+) thick. When it drys I will use a caliper to measure it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:07 pm 

Perhaps I should have said theres an excellent recipie posted in this section of the forum . Would you like to sample a chew ?? If so PM me your address again .

Lonnie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:21 pm 

Lonnie_in_Tenn wrote:
Perhaps I should have said theres an excellent recipie posted in this section of the forum . Would you like to sample a chew ?? If so PM me your address again .

Lonnie

It's done. The other information is private from the enclosed URL is private.