How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: New dip recipie
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:44 pm 

Will keep private

Just remind me of one thing is all I ask lol If I go to getting to smart mouth remind me not to mess with you lol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:05 pm 

Lonnie_in_Tenn wrote:
Will keep private

Just remind me of one thing is all I ask lol If I go to getting to smart mouth remind me not to mess with you lol

Will do but my wife keeps me in line.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:14 pm 

A form of sodium carbonate can be made by simply roasting baking soda in an oven at 300 degrees for an hour or so. 1/2 to 1 gram to an ounce of tobacco is sufficient for nasal snuff. I don't know that washing soda would be pure enough to safely ingest. Other snoose recipes just call for plain old bicarbonate of soda anyway. I've never seen any mullein growing in my area; wonder what might make a passable substitute?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:51 pm 

snuffgrinder

I made some from wood ash and it's white and it sure enough smells like washing soda ( soap ) I had no idea how much to use though so I never tried it .

Thanks for info I'll sure enough try it now :wink: Do you know what this does to it ?? Why it's used ?? Just from reading and drawing my conclusion I was thinking it raised the ph . But reading on sweedish snus they mention about the same things and say the washing soda adds to the taste snus is known for . But right down to the lemin juice i found allthe ingreedience except mullin in other places .

One more question how much salt I used way to much and it kinda tasted ok but was way to salty . How much salt for each ounce of baccy ?

About the mullin I'm not sure about the dip but if it's likethe chewin baccy I think sweating it is the important part . I really think you could use about any thing for flavor but haven't tried that yet .

Did try a couple twist of chew from stronger leafs and while it was ok it just didn't absorb the flavor . So I could be wrong but from my experimenting I think sweating is the important factor ( sweated baccy just sucks up the flavor ) . I really think you could flavor it with what ever you wanted to so long as the flavor suits you .

However to me the chew did taste quite a bit like a red man chew so that particular taste could come from the mullin I really not sure .

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:09 am 

One Swedish snus recipe I know of calls for 55-70 grams of salt for 250 grams of tobacco, so roughly 5g per ounce should be a good starting point. The Swedish Match product ingredient page is a good source of info. You can also click on chewing tobacco in the top menu for a list of what goes into chaw. http://tinyurl.com/yc3fnw4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:58 am 

In order to make dip, when do you grind the tobacco? Before you add the 2x tobacco to the juice, or after when it is wet (moist)? Depending on grinding dry or wet, what type of grinder do you use? Don't have the leaves ready yet, but need to think about equipment to make it.
Thanks in advance,
Neal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:41 pm 

Neal

I'm not a dipper so I only tried the one batch . I put way to much salt in mine I can tell that much and just ended up tossing it out .

I was afraid to use this home made soda I made so I never have tried again . But that stuffs cheap on ebay . I probably did it the hard way but I took leafs and dried them crispy them just rubbed them through a screen to get very tiny particals of tobacco . It was to slow but did do a great job at only letting very fine particals go through .

I think about anyway to get them ground up would work . At least I cant see why they wouldn't . A screen works great just to slow if you was wanting to make very much .

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:07 am 

For dip, you can just use a food processor. As a side note, I've heard that back in the days when prisoners were still issued tobacco that convict dippers would run granulated smoking tobacco through a flour sifter and add water, salt, soda and sugar to make snuff.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:44 pm 

In the first step mentioned above, the salt is added to water to soak 1/2 x tobacco. When is the sal soda and sugar added? To the same water as the salt, or in the second step when adding the 1x amount of tobacco to the liquid? Also, what is the amount of sugar per, say, 100 gms of final product? Or is it to taste by trial and error?
Getting ready to do a trial run.
Neal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:32 pm 

Sounds to me like the sal-soda... washing soda... is used to leach some of the acidity from the leaf.
Kinda like olives being processed in lye.

Maybe ????
Heck, I dunno !

I wouldn't mind gettin it figgered out, though !

I'd like to make my own beechnut or redman.

BTW, what the heck is mullin ?

rc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:02 am 

Snuff:
Tried the flour sifter, kinda slow but works, guess that wouldn't matter to a prisoner, but i'm more impatient. Used a food processor on toasted, hand crushed leaf and it works great (and fast). Just ran it through a strainer and it was ready. btw, had to use a cloth over nose for the fine tobacco dust.
Still wondering what besides salt to add to the water in the first soaking step. Since you have to let it set for 5 days at rel. high temp, probably not a good idea to add anything that could mold (ie. sugar, molasses, etc.). Maybe just the sal soda? Any ideas would be appreciated.
Neal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:16 pm 

lipantxguy wrote:
Snuff:
Tried the flour sifter, kinda slow but works, guess that wouldn't matter to a prisoner, but i'm more impatient. Used a food processor on toasted, hand crushed leaf and it works great (and fast). Just ran it through a strainer and it was ready. btw, had to use a cloth over nose for the fine tobacco dust.
Still wondering what besides salt to add to the water in the first soaking step. Since you have to let it set for 5 days at rel. high temp, probably not a good idea to add anything that could mold (ie. sugar, molasses, etc.). Maybe just the sal soda? Any ideas would be appreciated.
Neal

You can add a little sugar or other sweetener (about 1/5 of the amount of salt) for a more American style flavor. The high salt content should prevent any mold from forming. Don't add anything else until the initial heat sweating is done.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:20 pm 

Running a test batch of 100 gms. and thinking of using a mix of cane sugar and molasses for sweetner, along with the salt and baked sodium bicarb. These bottom leaves should have plenty of grit, sand has been falling out of the dried leaves throughout processing. Tobacco is a combo of mainly burley with a few leaves of turkish sampson. Not a big fan of menthol, mint or fruit flavors, been using Copenhagen and Timberwolf for too long. Let you know how it turns out.
Neal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:43 am 

So my 100 gm. test sample has been aging for 5 days in the fridge and it may be ready for a taste test. I ended up with about 20 oz. of final product after starting with aprox. 150 gms. of dry ingredients, so my dry matter % should be aprox. 25% and moisture 75%. Does anyone know what the moisture content is in Copenhagen, for example? My test batch looks a little wet compared to my current can. Hate to waste $5 dip to determine moisture content! So if anybody knows what the moisture content of dip is supposed to be, pls. let me know.
Neal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:37 am 

I'm not certain about dip, but snus is approximately 48-52% water. I'll bet dip is almost exactly the same, moisture-wise.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next