How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New dip recipie
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:27 am 

Got a new batch going yesterday, used the same basic recipe but with mostly burley for tobacco, aged a month and fermented for 2 weeks. This is the modified recipe:
Water - 1 1/2 cups
Leaf baccy - 50 gms.
Salt - 25 gms.
Soda - 1/4 tsp
Sugar - 1.5 tbs
Molasses - 1.5 tbs.
Vanilla extract - 1/4 tsp
Once this mix soaked for a day in a baggie in the water heater cabinet, I squeezed the juice out and added the 100 grams of dried, ground (food processor) and strained burley tobacco. It's aging now in the fridge and will try it in a week.
Initial observacions - mix still looks lighter than comercial and slightly coarser texture. Color - since I used burley, it's probably lighter than a dark greenwood for example, or it could use more aging, fermenting to give a darker color. Texture - need to find a finer strainer, food processor leaves long (1/4in.), narrow fibers that get through my strainer. The very fine strainers on the market may be too fine, and are too expensive ($50) just to do a test.
The original batch is in the freezer, but small samples put into used Timberwolf tins are not molding anyway. The salt and sal soda probably retard mold growth, at least enough to use up a tin in a couple of days.
Any suggestions or observations would be welcome.
Neal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:51 am 

...maybe not the best idea to squeeze the juice out ?

...but I know nothing... :shock:

Thanks for posting your recipe and commentaries on it.
rc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:01 am 

RC:
Well i'd use a centrifuge, but they're kinda costly! Just following the methods posted elsewhere. I assume that this step is to extract extra nic and taste from the first leaves, since you have to add water, salt, flavors, etc. at some point anyhow.
At least it smells better than the first batch, stronger baccy smell and less aromatic (ie. no Turkish leaf).
Will be hard to stay out of this bag until aged.
Neal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:07 am 

Snuffgrinder wrote:
Quote:
Been dipping it all week with a lot less burn and irritation than I get from American dip and no bleeding gums like I get from Swedish snus. Next time I'll use better tobacco, less soda and sweat it for a full 12 hours after adding the alkali

Snuff: I think I'd stay away from anything that made my gums bleed! Anything home made should be less irritating that that. JMHO. How did that latest batch turn out?
Neal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:22 pm 

Hey Lipan,

Oops! I got mis-spoken. :)

What I meant, was leave that juice IN before adding the 100grams of dry stuff.

Centrifuge, huh?
Now THAT sounds like fun, to me.
Shouldn't be hard to build one... We got some real whiz-bang builder guys here on HTGT to ask for advice !

All that should be needed is a vertical AC electric motor with a platform that keys to it's shaft.
Use a grain scale to weigh what u want to spin, and attach an equal weight to the opposite side of the platform to keep it in balance when it spins.
Use an extension cord to power it up and be where flying debris won't hit you or anything else important to test my idea!

...I'm also interested in chew... I prefer Beechnut, but it's hard to come by so I use Redman.
Along with that production goal, I'm saving sticks and stems, ribs and such to use for infusing selected tobacco.
First, I gotta learn the fine points of ...decocting... if you can believe that is a word ! :)
...Far as I can tell u can boil scraps and something will either float to the top or sink to the bottom and it can be separated from the gunk, by cold? and then infused into the selected baccy to make it stronger.

...But that's just my view of things according to Monty Python. :)

Aw crud ! My mouse pad thingy has just gone bonkers... wonder why....
it won't make the page scroll...
gotta use the down arrow...

Best
rc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:05 am 

lipantxguy wrote:
Snuffgrinder wrote:
Quote:
Been dipping it all week with a lot less burn and irritation than I get from American dip and no bleeding gums like I get from Swedish snus. Next time I'll use better tobacco, less soda and sweat it for a full 12 hours after adding the alkali

Snuff: I think I'd stay away from anything that made my gums bleed! Anything home made should be less irritating that that. JMHO. How did that latest batch turn out?
Neal

Last batch turned out OK. Dropped the temperature to 180oF and used a covered Pyrex baking dish instead of a screw top jar. Turned out the jar was too airtight and allowed too much steam pressure to build up. In essence I was pressure cooking the snuff. That might something to experiment with down the road. Sorry for the delayed response, but I'm shorthanded at work & having to pull some extra midnight shifts.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:26 am 

Snuff:
Are you heating the whole, finished batch at that temp, or just the cured leaf or ground up leaf? Also for how much time?
Yeah, I work the afternoon/evening shift myself, love having the mornings to fool with the baccy.
Thanks for the info,
Neal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:40 am 

lipantxguy wrote:
Snuff:
Are you heating the whole, finished batch at that temp, or just the cured leaf or ground up leaf? Also for how much time?
Yeah, I work the afternoon/evening shift myself, love having the mornings to fool with the baccy.
Thanks for the info,
Neal

The whole shebang, including the soda. I only did this batch about 12 hours, just long enough for the color to darken.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:57 am 

Here's an old snuff recipe from a letter dated 12 May 1831: From: The Records of the Moravians in North Carolina p.3008.
"You asked me how to make snuff. Hultin makes it a little differently fro
the way we do. He uses tobacco juice instead of water and adds other
ingredients. I take 9 lbs. tobacco and 6 lbs. stems, 15 lbs. in all,
grind and mix well; take 1 gallon and 1/2 pint of water, 6 handfuls of
salt and 1 handful of sugar; mix it well and keep it warm; in 2 to 4
weeks strain it. I take extra trouble, and before straining it, put it
in pots and let it sweat for awhile." (Originally posted on the Yahoo Group Snuff Grinders_ homemade nasal snuff) My version of the sauce is 3 level tablespoons of salt & 1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar to 3 scant cups of water. I used this in my last batch of heat fermented dip with a sprinkle of soda added.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:13 pm 

Here's a recipe for quick homemade dip that gives acceptable results: From: http://www.lizlyle.lofgrens.org/LofgrenFam/FamHist5.html
"It turns out that snuff manufacture is surprisingly complicated, as you can see from Arvid's recipe:
Start the tobacco indoors in about March, because Minnesota's growing season is too short to grow tobacco outdoors from seeds. Transplant to the garden in late May or early June. The plants grow about 8 feet tall. Harvest the leaves around the time of first frost and hang them in the corncrib to dry until after Christmas. Grind the leaves in a Cuisinart (Joyce won't let him use one that's also used for food, so he had to buy another one at a garage sale). Add cloves, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, garlic powder, cinnamon and no-salt (Arvid is on a low-sodium diet). Separately, mix 1 tablespoon baking soda, 1 tablespoon molasses, a little wine that someone gave you for Christmas, and hot coffee. Stir the liquid into the powder mix. Place the mixture in a baking pan and bake at 350 F for 45 minutes. After the mixture has cooled, stir in one box of Longhorn snuff and 2 tablespoons of Khaluha. Refrigerate until ready to use, at which time you scoop some into a re-used snuff box." I don't use this method too much anymore since the slower heat fermentation gives better results, but it's ideal if you don't have the time or are just in a hurry. You can adjust the flavorings to suit your own taste and the Longhorn can be left out. I use real salt, Indian tea masala and cooking sherry in mine. I've gotten good results with different sweeteners as well. My latest version of this is 2 leaves of broadleaf cigar tobacco, 1/32 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda, 1/8 tsp of salt, 3/4 tsp of white sugar, large pinch of tea masala, & marsala cooking wine. Just dissolved the flavorings in wine & hot tea and stirred it into the ground tobacco. Into the oven in a covered pyrex container & added a large pinch of Grizzly natural fine cut after baking and cooling. A week's supply of handcrafted custom snoose in less than 2 hours and I don't have to listen to the missus bitch about me stinking up the house everytime I get a day off. Finally had to move the snoose oven out to the garage.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:58 pm 

I like cogenhagen and grizzly natural any recipes similar to these?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:00 pm 

lipantxguy wrote:
Got a new batch going yesterday, used the same basic recipe but with mostly burley for tobacco, aged a month and fermented for 2 weeks. This is the modified recipe:
Water - 1 1/2 cups
Leaf baccy - 50 gms.
Salt - 25 gms.
Soda - 1/4 tsp
Sugar - 1.5 tbs
Molasses - 1.5 tbs.
Vanilla extract - 1/4 tsp
Once this mix soaked for a day in a baggie in the water heater cabinet, I squeezed the juice out and added the 100 grams of dried, ground (food processor) and strained burley tobacco. It's aging now in the fridge and will try it in a week.
Initial observacions - mix still looks lighter than comercial and slightly coarser texture. Color - since I used burley, it's probably lighter than a dark greenwood for example, or it could use more aging, fermenting to give a darker color. Texture - need to find a finer strainer, food processor leaves long (1/4in.), narrow fibers that get through my strainer. The very fine strainers on the market may be too fine, and are too expensive ($50) just to do a test.
The original batch is in the freezer, but small samples put into used Timberwolf tins are not molding anyway. The salt and sal soda probably retard mold growth, at least enough to use up a tin in a couple of days.
Any suggestions or observations would be welcome.
Neal

What variety of burley do you grow for chewing? I have not gone back and read all four pages of post so if you have already given this information I apologize for the back tracking.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:09 am 

Shihan:
The burley I grew last year was 14L8 hybrid (seeds from Lonnie). It's easy to grow, cures easily, but I'm not satisfied with the flavor for chew. Tastes like chewing ground up cigaretts!
So this year i'm trying to grow One Sucker, Greenwood and the 2 Madole's for a better chew flavor. Have to let you know at the end of the season if the flavor is better.
BTW the recipe I used is too salty, have to reduce the sal soda and probably eliminate the salt altogether. And more sweet from the brown sugar and molasses. I'm still working on it!
Regards, Neal

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:03 pm 

Thanks for telling me beore I tried it. Let us now how the next batch turns out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:55 am 

Last batch was still too salty and too mushy, ground the final baccy too fine and with too much moisture, or too little baccy for the juice I had prepared.
Gonna start a new batch today with these ingredients for the juice:
In 2 cups of water:
2 cups brown sugar
2 tbs molasses
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes to convert baking soda to sal soda for preservation purposes.
Add 100 gms. chopped tobacco, mix of burley and silk leaf and let sweat in the sun for 5 days.
Fine grind enough baccy to get final mix of baccy+juice to 50% moisture or slightly less, moist but not enough to squeeze out moisture when a handfull is squeezed. Will freeze the batch and test stability to mold in small amounts in left over dip containers. The last salty batch was very stable, did not mold for weeks in a dip can, but definately had too much salt or sal soda for enjoyable chew.
Will report results here later.
Regards, Neal