How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is a twist. when is dip chewable???
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:28 am 

I read something about sailers who twisted together strands of cut tobacco leaves to twist like a rope. They did this because smoking was a fire hazard.

How can 1 be sure that their tobacco is dip worthy. Ive heard of farmers chewing a leaf right in the field.What about worms and parasites???

I like to cook my semi cured tobacco in a toaster oven just below 200 to kill anything, and then i also freeze it. Just like camel snuis it really tastes good cold.

i have some leaves i jst dry untill they are bendy like parchment, after they have hung for a while, then i break, or tear the leafe up, smoke some, and dip some.
Is that safe. Like smoking or chewing is safe anyway!?!

mryodahippie.
Iowa.

Post subject: Re: What is a twist. when is dip chewable???
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:39 pm 

mryodahippie wrote:
I read something about sailers who twisted together strands of cut tobacco leaves to twist like a rope. They did this because smoking was a fire hazard.

How can 1 be sure that their tobacco is dip worthy. Ive heard of farmers chewing a leaf right in the field.What about worms and parasites???

I like to cook my semi cured tobacco in a toaster oven just below 200 to kill anything, and then i also freeze it. Just like camel snuis it really tastes good cold.

i have some leaves i jst dry untill they are bendy like parchment, after they have hung for a while, then i break, or tear the leafe up, smoke some, and dip some.
Is that safe. Like smoking or chewing is safe anyway!?!

mryodahippie.
Iowa.

Haven't heard anything about the fire hazard thing, but I do hear stories of farmers chewing out in the field. Suppose it gives them a boast to finish the harvest. I personally would think that the taste would out weigh the pleasure. I doubt it would have any more germs or parasites than a common wild blackberry, yes there is the possibility.

People have different philosophies when it comes to chew vs cigs. A buddy of mine who works at a smokeless tobacco factory had this to say to me: When you sit on a couch, there are certain chemicals and substances that couch has that is harmful to your health. (e.g. a chemical from the couch rubs on to your skin) Again we are talking very small minute exposures. Now picture a couch that is on fire and has all these fumes, chemicals, and smoke everywhere. Which couch do you think it's safer to sit on?

While it is true that the couch that is not on fire seems obviously less harmful, my buddy forgot to mention that in order to sit on this couch you must chew on it. Thus it negates some of the benefits on the couch not being on fire. You are still being exposed to potentially toxic substances, just via a different route.

Hope the analogy didn't confuse you too bad. Chew usually exposes the body to the same amount of nicotine a cigarette does if not more. So in this way a stronger dependence to nicotine can form for the person that chews where as a smoker is not just addicted to nicotine but to other substances as well. Although your lungs stay mostly unaffected, your digestive tract, throat, esophagus, gums, and teeth are. In the same way cancer develops in the lungs by many smokers, cancer and other various types of diseases also can develop in the areas described above. Nitrosomes and other carcinogens are still absorbed. I'm not up to date on the various types of chemicals companies apply to their chew, a list of them would look somewhat similar. If you compare the numbers worldwide I believe smoking kills more, but you must also remember more people smoke than they do chew. Overall many health officials rate them at about the same when it comes to which is less dangerous.

So again, is it worse than cigs? Depends on the type of person and how much they chew. Some folks can chew all their lives and function just as good as non tobacco users; note this also applies to smokers. Now some folks choose not to spit, which I don't agree with. The less places these chemicals and nicotine go, the better your health will be. It would also be logical to assume that fewer chemicals placed in the chew would also benefit your health; such as home made chewing tobacco.

Post subject: Re: What is a twist. when is dip chewable???
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:36 am 

"mryodahippie" Said

Quote:

Sailors in the 17th 18th and 19th centuaries Did Twist or make pigtails of the Tobacco leaves , These were ususlly flavoured with Navy Rum, And then wrapped up in Sailcloth/canvas Wooden hulled ships were prone to fire so they chewed it but when onshore the pigtail twist was cut into coins or disks from the pigtail, Rubbed then smoked in a pipe.