How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ROT
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:15 pm 

Thanks Cameron...figured it was rot, but was hoping it was some kind of super maduro...heehee :lol:

Post subject: Re: Pictures!!!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:59 am 

Cigar Gregory wrote:
I let some tobacco hang outside for months in the weather, rain-heat-freeze...it's black...is this any good ?

Well, you could always spark it up and see. Worst case would be that you destroy your lungs and have diarrhea for a while. :shock:

Theoretically, if it's anywhere near that bad, you'll stop smoking it before you hurt yourself much.

Post subject: Re: how to make twist
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:18 pm 

Just wondering if anyone has photos of their twist tobacco?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:36 pm 

Someone clue me in... (1) What is the purpose of making a twist? and (2) Just wrapping it and hanging it is supposed to ferment it?

Randy B

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:27 am 

Thank you very much for sharing that Video. It really explained a lot.

So All one would need is color cured leaf. Then this method would be used to ferment?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:38 pm 

May be bumping an old thread here but I'm a little confused. I want to make twist chew and have YTB right here. Alex said to twist the leaves while they are still green, but everyone else is waiting until theyre color cured. Does it really matter, as long as they are cured before I use it?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:18 pm 

I dunno what 'twist chew' is, I guess...
IMO, a twist is a method of transporting a small amount of tobacco that has been cured, but not yet shredded???
...and I'd sure get a 2nd opinion! lol

The CW re-enactment guys use a twist of baccy as an accessory...

I'd like to do it as a 'for profit' kinda thing...
rc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:18 pm 

hi
Rusty I think you are right. I had a friend back in the 80's that carried a "twist" with him always. He generally just took pocket knife and cut off small bit to chew, but some times he cut some to put in his pipe. He was in his late 80's or early 90's said he couldn't remember his birth year even though he was there.

While looking for twist I saw that it was the most common way to transport a small amount of tobacco and was popular during civil war.

"Ropes (twists)used to be the most common form of finished tobacco products. It can be chewed, cut and smoked, or ground up into nasal snuff. It was also the preferred choice of tobacco amongst sailors and miners of days gone by."

Reading I found comments that it was twisted with green or cured tobacco. Cured seem like the main choice probably to eliminate chances of spoilage later away from home.

Most said cured tobacco 3 leaves twisted to make small rope knotted to make easy transport. Some said it was twisted and used clippings from cigar tobacco. Probably to save good tobacco from cigars and reused for chewing or pipes.

49ers used it to carry tobacco to gold fields. It kept tobacco dry yet still in case, for smoking or chewing.

American Indians used twists to carry their suppy. They chewed tobacco constatlly and smoked it on speciall occassions.
Lee