How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: how to make twist
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:52 pm 

1. Does twist use the leaves as they fall off?

2. Do entire leaves go into twist?

3. Does one twist have several leaves about the same length involved? Or, do you put leaves down to make a "long rope"?

4. Are any binders used in twist?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:36 pm 

The leaves need to be ripe the same as any other type of tobacco. Two to three high-quality leaves (with midribs removed) are braided and twisted into a rope while still green, and are then cured in the same manner as other tobacco. If you want a longer rope you could theoretically continue the braid with additional leaves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:47 pm 

Beautiful! Thanks. Good answers.

Does anyone know if I can use Jasmine on twist? It's listed as "sweet", so just thought maybe it'd be good twist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:10 pm 

Jasmine a.k.a nicotiana alata is a flowering tobacco well known for the sweet scent of its flowers. Flowering tobacco is not generally considered suitable for smoking & would not usually be grown by anyone who is growing cigarette tobacco because it cross pollinates & ruins your seeds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:16 pm 

Good info. Thanks.

Does anyone know if there's a "binder" (molasses, etc) used in making twist?

Post subject: Making twist
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:57 pm 

Hi, Bigron.
This year 2008 i made two types of twist,from two verry old methods.
1/ ROYAL NAVY TWIST dated 1803.
First take large leafs ,remove the mid rib,hang to dry untill wilted,then rap them around each other Verry tight,to form a large sosage IE,
2"X 14" .Then it should be raped in a square section of sail cloth,i used a section of old bed sheet,then you tie with sizal string/garden twine, around the cloth /every 0.5" verry tight all the way down,
now hang in a worm /dry area to ferment, after a few days there may be fluid driping, then turn it over , and so no ,until it is rock hard and bone dry,will take a few weeks, at this stage it stinks.
Now find a crock pot,stand the sosage in it including the cloth an string,and pour a bottel of DARK NAVY RUM over it.leave for two weeks remove the twist and let drip dry , then hang to completly dry /12months. you can drink the rum, this should give you a twist like know other/NOT EVEN BUDDY HOLLY.

2/NORTH AMERICAN INDIAN type.
First pick leafs/remove mid rib/hang to wilt/ lay a large leaf at 45*on a table infront of you/role it tight/now role one 45* the opposit way/you will end up with what looks like a french crosso/slowly bend it round untill it looks likea big horse shoe/tie the two small ends with string. and leave it to ferment/cure/dry/12months.
this possobly smokes like a WIG WAM.Give it a go.
HOOTCHE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Hootche

I have some Virginia in my greenhouse that still has green leaf so I decided to try making the Indian style twist you described.
When I cut the main rib out of the leaf I ended up with 2 half leafs for each leaf so I wound each half leaf around the other as you instructed. The twist is about the thickness of a fat finger in the middle and tapers down towards the ends. The length is about that of my hand. I tied the ends with thread then pulled the ends towards each other to tie it into the horse shoe shape.
It's been a week and now the twist is yellow and brown but the ends of the twist buckled near the ends like a bent finger. I'm thinking about making some more twists and would like to know if they really need to be bent or if they can be left straight.

Post subject: making twist
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:28 pm 

Hi, Ron.
I have read your reply, When i first made twist, it was as you have done,
the problem will be as you only started with a good finger thicknes, when this dries , it will poss not be thick enough to form a solid block of tobacco,TWIST. as it will finish up looking like shrivald.
if you have any moor leafs make it to about 2" dia at the thickest down to 0.75" at the smallest.and about 14" long.
As for tieing them ,The information i have is that served two functions,
1/ the tobacco could be hung out to ferment,and not laid on a surface
as the air could get all arround,
2/thay would be stored on a horizontal stick frame ,for safe keeping,
so i assume when the indians were on the move thay would not fall of the stick if thay were tied with string to form a hoop.
Ron, Look at the rum curred twist but dont use the rum,that will give you a straight twist,best of look
HOOTCHE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Hootche. 2" thick will take a lot of leafs I used 3 to make my finger sized twist. How many do you think it will take?
Have you aged yours long enough to try it yet? I'm really eager to find out how well it will cure this way.

Post subject: makng twist
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:03 pm 

hi,Roy,
the number of leafs required is not in my information sheets,it just says to build to the sizes as i let you know,14"longX 2"dia down to o.75" each end.
Ron i have some twist two years old , made from coneticut broadleaf, and it looks like a lump of black hard rope,
In a pipe it burns well,very distinct flavour,cool on the tonge,
you will find it hard to cut,
please give it a go,as it will bring back the very old prosess of tobacco making,as the paperwork is over 200years old.
HOOTCHE.

Post subject: Tobacco Twists
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

I'll try it but I'm not sure I have enough tobacco right now. I have 3 plants I'm almost finished collecting seeds from that are already missing about 1/3 of their leaves. Where are you getting your information from? Is it something you can get a picture of and post? I'm sure many people would enjoy seeing the old historical documents.

Post subject: making twist
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:51 pm 

Hi, Roy, and all .
to answer your questions,= i would rap as much as you can to form the largest twist you can,then leave it to nature.
As far as the document ,/ instructions are concerned the original document is in our bank with other things for safe keeping.
The original script is innked onto what looks like the backing of an old oil painting canvas,it is dated 1805.U.S.
It was braught back to the U.K by my great great grandad, after a trip to the U.S. when he was in the royal navy.
In due corse i will let you all look at the document.
i dont know what year it came to the U.K. but i am 61, my farther is now 92, his farther was 97. and my great great grandfarther was 97, so try and work it out from that.all the best,
HOOTCHE.

Post subject: Re: making twist
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:09 pm 

Hootche wrote:
Hi, Roy, and all .
to answer your questions,= i would rap as much as you can to form the largest twist you can,then leave it to nature.
As far as the document ,/ instructions are concerned the original document is in our bank with other things for safe keeping.
The original script is innked onto what looks like the backing of an old oil painting canvas,it is dated 1805.U.S.
It was braught back to the U.K by my great great grandad, after a trip to the U.S. when he was in the royal navy.
In due corse i will let you all look at the document.
i dont know what year it came to the U.K. but i am 61, my farther is now 92, his farther was 97. and my great great grandfarther was 97, so try and work it out from that.all the best,
HOOTCHE.

Seems like you have a grand knowledge of your genealogy Hootche. :)

Post subject: Pictures!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:58 pm 

Hey Hootche,
Why not take some pics of these plans if you can...THAT WOULD BE A GREAT CONTRIBUTION FOR EVERYONE HERE. Heroic even!!!
I'd be happy to pay for a copy!!!

Anyway, I've a question for anyone who knows.
I let some tobacco hang outside for months in the weather, rain-heat-freeze...it's black...is this any good ?

Post subject: Re: Pictures!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:20 am 

Cigar Gregory wrote:
Hey Hootche,
Why not take some pics of these plans if you can...THAT WOULD BE A GREAT CONTRIBUTION FOR EVERYONE HERE. Heroic even!!!
I'd be happy to pay for a copy!!!

Anyway, I've a question for anyone who knows.
I let some tobacco hang outside for months in the weather, rain-heat-freeze...it's black...is this any good ?

I probably wouldn't use it; seeing that the tobacco is starting to rot. Or at least not mix it with the good stuff. I've never smoked it like that so I don't want to give you information and nothing to back it up with. Though I my opinion I would use it for compost instead of smoking.