How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can tobacco be grown indoors in the Iowa winter as a plant.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:38 pm 

Will tobacco plants grow well inside during the winter. I had such fun this year, i have some extra plants too small to put out this year. I was thinking of growing them in buckets in the basement. With lots of plantfood will they be okay. They probably wont get a lot of real sun light.

Im thinking of buying a grow light.

Can you get sunburn from a grow light???

The plants wilt in out door sun, and pep up after being inside. It is almost like they are domestivated for indoor living??! :shock:

I really would like to keep a couple plants as pets, i have enought tobacco to last, and still motre to pick and hang. I pick the big leaves, put 4-5 on a coat hanger, and hang them in the basement with a fan. Even without a fan they dry well in basement.

This is my first year growing my own. Have allready smoked some, and they turned out great.

ps. what is ment by letting the leaves ferment, when curing.

Post subject: Re: Can tobacco be grown indoors in the Iowa winter as a plant.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:46 pm 

im doing it in my house - and all im using is a 4ft florescent light with the grow bulbs in it,

think this page will help ya out too

http://forums.bghydro.com/

as well as

http://boldweb.com/gw/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=46&Itemid=25

and

http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/lights2.shtml

that will get ya started anyway

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:03 pm 
If you can keep the temperatures up above 40 deg for the lows and over 70 highs, it will work. But you will need to defiantly need to use a light.
The best light that is most efficient is A Triband LED UFO light. I have 1 90 watt LED UFO and love it. They are about $160 on ebay and last over 10 years or 50,000 hours.(under 7,000 hours a year.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=led+uf ... &_osacat=0
Also you can get huge CFL lights at home depot or Lowes that run $15.

The only drawback is they do not put out much heat. If you need more heat then you would need a HPS or MH Light. But they are power suckers. Also you will need to give it at least 17 hours of light if not 24 because of temps. Then when you want it to flower give it 12-14 hours of light. The beauty of indoor growing is that you control the vegetative and flowering state with light timing.
I'm going to grow TA56 Variegated Tobacco ( Tabacum variegatum )
A very rare and unique tobacco with a showy cream splash on the leaves, and pink flowers. I only have 1 of these plants and it did not take off for me. So I'm bringing it indoors when the grow season is over and putting it under 17-24 hour light near a window in my living room. I want tons seeds from this plant for next year.

Last edited by vredeman on Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:23 pm 

Hi --

Leafy vegetables aren't great candidates for indoor growing under lights. The cost is prohibitive. I did this analysis years ago on lettuce, mustard, chard, beets, &etc. because I love leafy greens. If you have a greenhouse and can supplement the daylight with lights, you might break even. That might be ok for a high quality crop of tobacco. But definitely is ok for tomatoes. We grow tomatoes in the greenhouse through Feb. and it saves a lot of money.

It just takes too much sq. footage of lights to grow tobacco that way.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:23 pm 

Almost all tobacco flowers when it's old enough. I have not read of any that depend on length of day for flowering. I've heard here that there are some, but seen no real evidence.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:32 pm 

Hi --

wydeboi, I ran a great experiment this year. I planted 120 seedlings mid-April and another 100 from the same batch just after the first week of May. The ones I planted earlier didn't go to bloom for two months or more. The ones I planted later bloomed in 3-4 weeks.

There are two conclusions I can make.

The later plants were stunted in 4" pots, and they went to bloom because of stress. Ok, that's one conclusion I can make.

The earlier ones were in vegetative stage when planted out and continued in it.

So I think tobacco is like tomatoes (same family). They have a vegetative stage and a blooming stage which is triggered more from the way they are grown (full blast from seed to mature plant vs a stall in a cramped pot) than by the age or daylight length.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:38 pm 

Very interesting Bob. I'm simply going by GRIN data. A lot of their seed has 'maturity' listed in days from planting out until maturity. I also think weather has a lot to do with flowering but have no real proof.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:41 pm 

Here's a link to a pdf with some interesting data:

http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/436/436-050-08/PDF_Harvesting.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:00 pm 

Hey guys, I have been studying aquaponics, Where they grow vegetables, and/or seedlings by hydroponics, using the fish as your fertilizer source.
Okay, I have the aquariums and the fish. I am wondering if the fish lights, I use basic shop lights over the aquariums would give enough light for the plants. Just put plants over half the aquarium and let light work for both? I have more than enough light for the basic aquarium plants, but some fish are not good with aquarium plants, so I thought of using these guys with plant growing trays above half of the aquarium.
As Bob pointed out, cost wise leafy crops might not be great. But, if the cost is shared by raising fish, does that change the price? And do you think this would be feasible for seedling starting? Like for baby tobacco come spring?
If you are not familiar with this way of growing, you cycle the aquarium water to plants growing in a soil-less mix, like for 1 hour per 3 hours, and it cycles back to the aquarium. You do have to monitor the nitrogen and ammonia levels, but that is not hard to do. If too little nitrogen, add fish, if too much nitrogen, add plants until you get a balance, that maintains itself. I know plants grow, but the fish that I have breed and raise babies, so both fish population and plant mass would both be increasing.
What do you think?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:27 pm 

Ozark lady wrote:
What do you think?

This is starting to get real interesting. Do you have a link to a photo or drawing of a system like this, Ozark lady?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:55 pm 
Well I will keep you all updated on my Indoor Tobacco Experiment over the winter. I'm going to run my light for 17 hours every day and see if flowers pop or not. Although I do want them to pop flowers for seeds anyway.

Last edited by vredeman on Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:37 pm 

wydeboi wrote:
Almost all tobacco flowers when it's old enough. I have not read of any that depend on length of day for flowering. I've heard here that there are some, but seen no real evidence.

There are a few out there, but the bulk are day neutral. A mutant tobacco strain named Maryland Mammoth is a short day plant which means it flower only when the day length is shorter than X ammount of hours which i believe is 14 hours. Hence the name, this tobacco has been reported to be very tall due to the fact that it will continue to grow well past many other tobacco strains. I personally have not seen any pictures of the plant, but I would really like to grow the seed and see for it my self.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:54 pm 
WOW that is really cool Cam. I guess I will just flower my indoor plant but dang I want those seeds!!!

In 1920 two employees of the U. S. Department of Agriculture, W. W. Garner and H. A. Allard, discovered a mutation in tobacco — a variety called Maryland Mammoth — that prevented the plant from flowering in the summer as normal tobacco plants do. Maryland Mammoth would not bloom until late December.
Experimenting with artificial lighting in winter and artificial darkening in summer, they found that Maryland Mammoth was affected by photoperiod. Because it would flower only when exposed to short periods of light, they called it a short-day plant.

Chloroplast transformation of the high-biomass tobacco variety Maryland Mammoth has been assessed as a production platform for the human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) p24 antigen. Maryland Mammoth offers the prospect of higher yields of intact functional protein per unit floor area of contained glasshouse per unit time prior to flowering.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:25 pm 

Here is the link to the wikipedia of aquaponics:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaponics

Here is you tube of an outside application of aquaponics using large tanks:
This is a purchased kit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2bS78Gl ... re=related
And this is a do-it-yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMqDJvnK ... re=related

Here is an inside application: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz6m5370 ... re=channel

Hydroponics seed starting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQL0MLvW ... re=channel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:12 pm 

Hi --

I looked into raising an Australian crayfish that gets to 3 lbs big like a small lobster and all you feed it is hay (it eats the stuff that grows on the hay in the water). They have to be kept warm, so building the tanks in a greenhouse makes sense. You can use the top of the tanks as benches for plants. Their "poop" is great fertilizer. You don't actually use the water as hydroponics, you just move the crayfish to a clean tank, then empty the old tank and process the "crayfish poop" in compost and use that for your plants. Without processing the tank sludge you have no control over the flora and fauna in your potted plants.

Bob