How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Minnesota Tobacco Growing Help
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:15 pm 

Hi all! I am a first time grower in MN, and have a few questions, especially regarding the climate here. I am one to two weeks after topping on my Kentucky Burley (KY 8635), and the leaves near the bottoms of some of the plants are starting to yellow. I am unsure as to whether I should whole plant harvest or just the leaves, especially with the MN winter in mind. As far as curing goes, I have an old hay barn I could hang it in which is not heated - after harvest (which I am guessing I will do in mid-October), it will more than likely be freezing at night and warmer (50's) during the day. I also could cure it in my basement where I have a bit more control over the humidity. I was wondering what your recommendation would be for this? Whole plant or harvest the leaves on the way up the plant, and outside or inside curing? And with the Burley, I have been reading that the leaves are ripe when they turn all yellow, correct?

This is my most recent picture, taken about a week ago:
https://imgur.com/a/L4xYx

Thank you, glad to be a part of the forum!

Post subject: Re: Minnesota Tobacco Growing Help
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:18 am 

KY 8635 ripens early and cures easily how ever you do it. It can take a light frost, but be sure to pick it before it gets frozen. If you stalk hang it and the plant is yellowed about half way up, the remaining green leaf should color out and dry fine. Most all burelys do. But it will probably take a while if you hang it in your barn when cut this late and temps are so low. Your basement might be a better choice for coloring if it is warmer there. If you prime it when the leaves are already yellowed, color curing is essentially done and you can go right to drying it out as fast as possible. I haven't really noticed any difference in flavor or how it smokes between primed and stalk hung burley. Primed leaf always looks much nicer to me. But it's a lot more work and you can't wait forever to pick it. Get it in before old man winter does it in.