How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Curing in the dark
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:47 am 

Could someone advise me on if it is a problem that I have my leaves hanging in the dark.
My shed does not let light in even on a clear day.
Plenty of air but pitch black dark.
The leaves are single not in bunches.
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Curing in the dark
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:25 am 

Darkness should not be a problem, ratehr an advantage, I think, but Im not an Expert.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:25 pm 

Thanks for that.At least I got a reply.I have hung it anyway and just going to go with the flow.Cost to much to heat the shed so will see what nature can do for me.I have a lot of leaves that are coloured up nice and we cut some last week.It smokes OK but a lot stronger on the throat than the bought stuff..Will try mixing with shop bought.At $80.00 per 50g here it is worth the trouble.Do you know if the more green leaves will go to useable after time??Or do I need to cure them a different way.I have pulled the whole crop now,NEW ZEALAND as the first frost is not far away.all hung up single leaf. on Dacron line.Will keep you posted if interested.
Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:08 am 

Last autumn, I ran out of space in my greenhouse so I hung leaves in the cellar underneath the house . During the day, I would leave the door opened so the leaves could get some light (not much). It worked, the leaves turned brown and they smoke well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:32 am 

Light is not necessary for curing. It's more about controlling humidity than anything else. If the air is too dry, your leaf will dry out before it can color up and lose the green. Once the green is gone you should dry it as fast as you can. Mold can't grow on a green leaf because it is still alive. But mold loves to eat up your cured leaf if it has enough moisture to grow. Freshly cured and dried leaf is usually very harsh and nasty to smoke until it has aged some. Give it a few months to age and the harshness will go away. You will be amazed how much better it smokes and tastes after aging.